Senegal Bichir Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
My senegal was great fun. I'd love to have some more if I had a bigger tank. I like the oddballs myself. I had a peacock eel and weather loach as well. Those we're great fun. The peacock eel would eat out of my hand. Hmm, makes me want to start up an oddball tank again.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Asura said:
The ones at my LFS seems to be quite small around 3" long but they seem playful chasing each other around the driftwood :D
My biggest bichir's currently around 6"
Hopefully they won't end as expensive feeders or worst tail/fin nippers :(
A 3" BGK in with a 6" bichir is just asking to be eaten....even a 5"-6" one may have attempts made on him that would cause significant damage.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
That's why it's so important to look at the individual personality of your fish. If he seems aggressive, chances are he may do some damage to your BGK. I never had one get over 5", so I'm not quite sure how aggressive they get as they get older. All in all, I'd say it would be a risk, but then again, I had fish combinations that no site on the web would tell you would work, but they lived peacefully. I say give it a try. If you notice problems, just split them up.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
zmazza said:
If he seems aggressive, chances are he may do some damage to your BGK. I never had one get over 5", so I'm not quite sure how aggressive they get as they get older.
It is a predator...not a matter of aggressivness at all....it is simply in the bichir's nature to attempt to eat fish smaller than itself.....and the bichir will reach 10"-12" long before the BGK hits 5".

I say give it a try. If you notice problems, just split them up.
The first problem he is likely to notice is a lack of BGK and a fat bichir....bit late to split them up at that point.

Asura

Bichir Fanatic
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
Ok here's the results, I put a pair of BKGs in the tank last night.
Observed that the BKGs like to 'bump' on the bichirs' fins/tails, not sure if they nipping when they 'bump'
My senegals don't seem to be bother with the BKGs but the ornate and dels seem to chase the BKGs whenever they get to close for comfort :rolleyes:
Checked the comm this morning, everyone was still in there.
Didn't see any damage to the BKGs or the bichir faction :D

Edited: Will update if any 'accident' occurs

Last edited:

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Asura said:
Edited: Will update if any 'accident' occurs
You will be very fortunate if it does not...and the main suspect will be the ornate...of my 14 ornates, I would not trust a single one around a smaller fish....my 6 delhezi are not much better...the Senegals (all 11 of them) are a fair bit better, but will not overlook an easy meal.

Asura

Bichir Fanatic
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
Back again, my pair of ghost fish still managed to survive in the comm :D
And I just acquired a long fin/sail fin albino senegal & a small black bichir which i'm unsure which species it belongs to.
The head resembles a senegal's but the body pattern looks much like an ornate's & the fins look greenish :confused:

Asura

Bichir Fanatic
Aug 18, 2006
Singapore
ID bichir

Here's a blur photo taken by a phone cam :(
Anyone can help me id it :)
Is it a palmas polli, poly retropinnis or something else ??

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
Small one looks like a member of the palmas complex probably P.p.polli a better pic would help-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store