senegal bichr nipped

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I had my sen. bichir with some sevs and marlbed crays for a while. Every now and then he'd have a chunk missing from his back fin, but it'd grow back. They really are hardy little guys, I wouldn't worry about it unless it shows signs of fin rot or red streaks.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Yay, finally another poster! Glad they agreed they are hardy little monsters. =D
I used to find mine out of the tank just waiting for a cat, dog or me to find it...He was a happy and dumb clam.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
I just saw this thread. How is your bichar doing?
If it is just the fin i wouldn't worry too much but if you notice more nips something may have started thinking it's a chew toy. If the edges of the nipped area start to turn white I would put him in a hospital tank if you have one available. Since you have such a large tank you probably don't want to try to treat it... I have my guy in a heavily planted 55 gal and through the years have had to treat the tank for various things and added salt, melafix, pimafix or coppersafe either together or separately at one time or another and none of it seemed to bother Spike (my senegal bichar). They are very hardy! Also Spike sometimes likes to float at the top of his tank too, usually in some of the floating plants, i think he's stalking. I sometimes add inexpensive Danios for him to hunt...

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
its still nipped but its just the fin and it doesnt look to have any streaks or anything. its weird because my other sen has a perfect tail. i think its the congos. i should be able to get congos within the month. but i currently only have one quarentine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store