Setting up my African Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Here are some pictures of some rocks that I'm trying out.DSCF0775.jpgDSCF0776.jpgDSCF0780.jpg

Hmm, I think I lack artistic vision. I also think I need more rocks.

I'll probably clean the algae off the walls now. I had left it on the back and side wall because the fish had been eating it, but now that they have the driftwood they've been working on that.

DSCF0775.jpg DSCF0776.jpg DSCF0780.jpg

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
I think what I want to do is add more sand to the left side, and get the bed to about 4-5", then push the sand up against the wall. I could stack up a pile of river/creek rock into the sand slope, then accent it with Anubias or Java fern. Does that make sense?

Would I need some support for the bottom glass if I did that?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good but be careful on how much sand you put in i only do a couple of inches due to gas pockets and such, the only time i place anything on the bottom of my tanks for support is egg crate if i decide to go a crap load of rock, because cichlids love to dig.. The sand will level out over time but will be sooner than normal since Mbuna love to dig..

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Actually, I've been trying to go for a deep sand bed setup, with the intention of forming such anaerobic pockets. There would also be anoxic pockets in the sand. I still have to learn alot more about it before I put it into effect, but the basic goal is to use the bacteria to remove nitrates, and completely finish the nitrogen cycle; it also has a boat-load of other added benefits, but I don't really understand the process yet. I'm still reading on it.

Also, one of my female not-so-juvenile juveniles has been doing the deed with the dominant male, and is now carrying eggs! They've actually been going at it for some thirty minutes...In fact, as I'm typing this, they're mating right now. I'll try to take some pictures after they're done; I don't want to intrude.;)

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
Very nice. Great looking fish :)

You can find a masonry shop or landscape shop. Many will have bin after bin of different kinds of boulders. Kinda fun rummaging through bins for cool shapes.

Russ

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I've been thinking about that, and I'm pretty sure that I'll end up going somewhere like that to get the rocks I need. I really want to jump on this so that I don't have wait again with an unfinished tank!

I think I might also invest in a pleco...Among other things, I'm a master algae grower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store