Sewellia lineolatas are breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love the newest pics & vid! Have you opened the filter yet? Sounds like Repashy is working.

OT: I haven't seen goby breeding but the big male is doing some color flashing blue/black/whitish & just once or twice some yellow too (not the all yellow). Lots of rocks & plants so I can't see everywhere.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I love the newest pics & vid! Have you opened the filter yet? Sounds like Repashy is working.

OT: I haven't seen goby breeding but the big male is doing some color flashing blue/black/whitish & just once or twice some yellow too (not the all yellow). Lots of rocks & plants so I can't see everywhere.
Thanks!:) No, I haven't checked the filter yet as I cleaned it out 2 weeks before the fry showed up so I'm going to wait a little longer as I have a feeling some are still going to get stuck in the filter again. Jim said it's ok to wait a little while as there should be enough food for them if there is any in the filter. I'll probably wait another 3 weeks or month to check to make sure they're a little bigger so they know how to get away from the filter.

Yea, once the male turned that blue/black color, he started to be really aggressive towards the female and one day he just disappeared. I thought it was dead as I didn't see it for 3 days but he appeared out of the blue. Female also became slimmer. Too bad they can't breed in freshwater. It would be great to have goby fry.

Never had any issues with the BBS being stuck in the gravel. Of course, I have many other bottom dwellers in the tank that will eat it if the fry don't (corys, plecos, sids, farlos, and a hummingbird tetra).
Yea, I have only shrimps with the loaches so no one is going to eat the leftovers if the loaches don't eat it.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Well these buggers made more babies. Found a bunch of younger fry. Had the hardest time taking them out of the bucket after a water change to put back into the tank as they were so small I almost gave up. Didn't take any photos of the new fry as I had a lot to do today. The older fry are getting a little bigger as I can see more of their pectoral fins.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Here's another video. This is the third time in a month but not sure if it is the same female as this one seems to be smaller. If you look closely, you can see the eggs float away:). Ignore the algae as I haven't been scrubbing the glass wall...

[video=youtube;TYpI1SAkzsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYpI1SAkzsg[/video]

Also, I decided to keep the parents. If I decide not to move back, I'll have my brother sell them. Probably upgrade their tank to a 40g so the females get more room to escape from the male and for the growing fry. I'll have to work more hours and get all the equipment in the summer once I'm out of school.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Really neat, Sho! I'm glad you decided to keep the adults & get a bigger tank. It'll be fun to watch while you're still home. And good luck when you open up the filter, I'm betting there's a bunch more fry!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Really neat, Sho! I'm glad you decided to keep the adults & get a bigger tank. It'll be fun to watch while you're still home. And good luck when you open up the filter, I'm betting there's a bunch more fry!
I opened up the filter, found 10 RCS, and no fry. Quite sad really:(. Probably ate them or the eggs. I did a gravel vac on the tank today and found a bunch of young fry (probably from the spawn I posted up top). I've been looking on my local craigslist for a 40g or 50g with stand but I may end up waiting for the $1 gallon sale to get a 40g or check out my feed store whenever I'm near there as they usually have great deals on tanks and stands. I'm amazed that the group spawned three times in a month. They must have spawned earlier as I found a colored fry that's a little less than .5cm. Video is blurry and bad quality but you're able to see the fry move:

[video=youtube;3nJ0Q-zqbGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJ0Q-zqbGo[/video]

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
True. The male was chasing the female today again. I thought he was going to stop this week but I guess not :).

I'm just worried that when I move the parents and fry over, I'll bury some when moving the old sand into the new tank. Not sure how I'm going to move the sand without killing/squishing them...

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Update:

So I was planning to get a new tank, add one more filter, and change around the scape but decided not to as the group keep breeding so there is tons, and I mean tons, of little fry on the sand. I have no clue how I am going to move them so no tank upgrade for them as of right now. I had everything planned out too.

I will be leaving for 5 to 6 months, come back for 2 months then leave again for 5 to 6 months so I think I will be able to move the offspring into their own tank to grow out, before selling, as I do not want them breeding with the parents. I don't plan to keep the offspring as I won't have time to care for another tank/more fish. I may add a filter though. Another 2215 if I get the chance so I can remove the powerhead. I did add an airstone today as the weather in CA is hot and the loaches looked like they needed it.

Saw about 5 spotted/white fry that are over .5cm. The rest are still young fry. Male has been breeding with the 3 females so far at least twice a week. I'm not sure about the other sewellia as it hasn't bred yet. Looks to be a female though. Trying to remove some RCS so the fry have a chance of survival while keeping the population down. Since removing the stiphodons, I have a bunch of daphnia and other small creatures in this tank. Nothing bad which is good.

Off topic: The notho group (2m/3f) have been trying to breed. Females are full of eggs but do not look interested in the males yet. I'm going to check the peat on their next WC to see if there are any eggs. It's their first try though so I don't expect a lot of eggs. Just setting them up to be ready for my mom to care after them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, you've really got the hang of sewellia breeding! Poor male, I bet he's loving it...for now.

Hopefully your killies get together before you leave, it's 1 thing to have Mom keep them happy & another for her to raise fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store