Sexing Black Convicts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
I know that females have gold or Orange in the stomach area. But at what age or size do they get this? I have 2 Black Convicts about 6 to 8 months old that are about the size of 1/2 inch and I'm wondering at what age or size can they be sexed?
So far there is not orange or gold on either of them. But they are barely half an inch.
Was just hoping I had another pair.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
1/2" for 6-8 months old is very very small. I've seen 1" with the orange but tbh I haven't looked before that. If I had to guess I'd say between 3/4" - 1". I have some 1/8" fry right now and they are still transparent, but I'll let you know as they are growing rather fast.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
1/2 inch is indeed very small for the age given. They should be closer to at least1" if not bigger at 6-8 months. As soon as the female colors up (orange blush) she should be ready to spawn. The markings will become very pronounced when she is ready for a mate. It will later fade back to her normal blush.

I have had them spawn at 6 months and some at 1 year.

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
my female is 1" and is looking like she is ready to spawn..her belly has some nice pink and shes got some really intense black and white stripes. I think you could sex them at 3/4 inch definitely at 1 inch :) Also have a look at their fins..the males have pointed dorsal fins and females have more rounded dorsal fins..at half an inch this isnt a reliable method but wait until their a bit bigger :)

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
my female is 1" and is looking like she is ready to spawn..her belly has some nice pink and shes got some really intense black and white stripes. I think you could sex them at 3/4 inch definitely at 1 inch :) Also have a look at their fins..the males have pointed dorsal fins and females have more rounded dorsal fins..at half an inch this isnt a reliable method but wait until their a bit bigger :)
Nah.. my male and female have trailers.. maybe the females get them at a later age.. not sure.

Cheapeeper

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Elk River MN
ok well thanks they are rather small yet and I'm not exactly sure of the age in months was guessing as I got them from someone else. I do know they barely reach 1/2 inch so maybe I am just not patient to see what sex they are .

Tongue33

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
Best way to get a pail on Regular cons.. is the belly color..If you see it.. You can bet your getting a female.. If you don't see it, do not just assume you are getting a male ;) Grab a couple of those.. And let nature take it's course.. You can usually sex with this method sometimes as small as half an inch;) On the Tall side of course.

This method is never guaranteed... But is proven about 95-99% of the time. ;) Eggs or venting is best and venting at that size is in my opinion impossible...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store