Share your tank maintenance strategies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...I do not run carbon in our 90g...but I've since realized that isn't even necessary...
The necessity to use carbon in a reef aquarium will vary depending on the particular set up.

After reading the comment about putting carbon in your filter, i was wondering if i am doing the right thing. i have a rena cansiter filter and I always have carbon in my filter. Is this not a good idea?
Typically carbon is utilized for a particular purpose (improve water clarity, adsorbtion of dissolved organics, toxin or medicine removal, etc). Whether this is required for the tank depends on the set up. If you're using carbon 'just because', discontinue carbon usage and note any adverse affects. If there's no change in water quality or coral livelihood, carbon is probably not required in your instance.

Last edited:

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Does anyone use a vacuum for the gravel? If so, do you have a dsb or a shallow one?

alpha123

Return to the sea '08
Mar 18, 2008
Houston
I only have 1 inch of sand, but try not to vacuum cause I don't want to lose any pod.

Don't really see why a razor is needed. I use the magnetic cleaning set and it works great ... for 98% of tank area.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I've got a question:
Up til now, I have never vacuumed my sandbed. The thing is; I get a good amount of debris that settles after time on my rock, which I routinely dust off with a turkey baster.

Well, it has to go somewhere, and while I know my skimmer may grab some, (especially since I removed all sponge filters. Skimmer actually works now) I know it either settles onto the sand bed or back on the rocks. This is where I'd like some guidance. Vacuum? Leave it?
I'm trying to get my nitrates down, and have had a little success by pulling the sponges. Should I suck it up during water changes?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What I have done to combat detritus settling is lots of water flow. I have one portion of the tank some detritus settles in (about a 1x2" area in the back) and from where i siphon it off. The rest has no chance of settling ;).

As for carbon, I have yet to see a good reason not to use it. I have always used it continuously.

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
Your not the only one with this problem. I blow off my rocks just before a water change allowing me to vacuum anything suspended in the water. I also very lightly vacuum the top of the bed to remove any buildup. Once every few months I move a small portion of rock and clean under and around them. It's also a good idea to have some sand stirers. Nassarius snails do an excellent job. If you don't stir the bed, harmful gas pockets can build up over time.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I just saw "sand sifting crabs" on a website and discovered they were those gross sand lice that we always dug up on the beach. Does anyone use these? The company also sold those tiny things that look like mini clams that dig into the sand...when they die you can open up the shells...they look like butterflies. I say this to help with ID, not to encourage you to kill them.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
I have yet another 75 now sitting on my garage, with stand, hood and sump.

Here is what I am trying to figure out:

Rust spots on bottom glass - how to remove?

the tank was dropped off at my house - guess they think I need another tank sitting in my garage :)

I have scrubbed the spots, but they will not come off - any ideas -

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store