Shell Dweller Help Needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Also if I were to get sumbu how many should I get for a 55 gallon tank and http://cichlidbreeding.com/products.php?cat=10 on this site or just otherwise knowledge what sort of shells should I get for them, I got gold and silver mouth turbos (mostly gold) for my multis, but these fish get bigger so the silver mouths might still work, but what shells would be big enough opening wise?

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Also if they need a ph of 8-8.6 then is there an easy thing to add to keep it at that even through water changes. I can double check, but I think the water around here is about 7ish.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Yeah those are not the same species. If he had them they would be under shell dwellers. I would call him and see if he is going to be getting any sumbus in the future.
I know someone locally that breeds sumbus. I will ask them about shipping.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
If you could ask you local person about shipping that would be great. I completely drained and redid the tank and it has only been setup for 2-3 so it will be a couple of weeks before I can put them in it the least. Mainly trying to decide on a type so I can budget in some shells and then get fish.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I have had both N. Caudopunctatus and N. Similis for about 1 yr now. They are in separate, species only tanks.

The N. Caudopunctatus would not use any shells I provided so I am using some rock piles and a breeding cave. They have spawned for me but I'm not sure whether they used the rocks or cave. I have not noticed any aggression with multiple males or toward the adolescent young.

The N. Similis are fanatical users of the shells I provided. They really like the whale eye shells. I initially purchase 6 and they are very prolific for me. I have multiple generations living together extremely well. I have not noticed any aggression with the males that resulted in any deaths or injuries. I do have a large Anubias 'Nana" and some rock piles to allow them to dash for cover if need be. I Will say that these fish are extremely entertaining and show attitude with their different personalities. They are always moving debris, snails, sand, etc. away from their territory. I did try adding some Ghost shrimp to help with cleanup chores but the Similis would NOT tolerate them at all. They became extremely aggressive so I removed the shrimp.

I forgot that I also have a group of Lepidolamprologus Hecqui (1M + 3F) that are big users of Muffin Snail shells. I have them in a 125G tank that, unfortunately, also has Aulonocara Peacocks in it so I have not been able to see their true personalities. I really need to remove the Peacocks and set this up as a strictly Tang. tank.

Lamprologus Ornatipinnis is also an avid shell user. I had a pair that spawned and the fry are growing well. Unfortunately, I lost the male last month so I'll be on the lookout for more of these fish.

I have purchased all these fish through my local fish club auctions, club member private sales, OCA Extravaganza or a local fish store that has very nice African cichlids for sale. I find the best deals are through my local club.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus ok
Neolamprologus Leleupi good
Neolamprologus brichardi breed too fast(there are shell dwelling types)
Julidochromis Regani Big and may eat some shellies I had gombi julies and that happened
neolamprologus tretocephalus Nice till they get to breeding age, they turn into Jason
neolamprologus helianthus Cool
neolamprologus cylindricus Cool

Why no Cyp. Leptisoma or similar fish?
And Don't get Hecqui

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store