Shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It call marketing. Make things look cheaper but paying more for shipping.

I personally don't like to deal with shipping. My gas to Post Office and time is not worth making $5-10. Unless I know I will be making over $10. Let just say that if I sell plants for $4 and $6 for shipping. I make $4 and my gas cost $4. Why would I wasting my time to sale and ship things for a couple of dallors.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
If I was to be selling cheap plants I would just have a large amount. Many packages for a few bucks each and put in the post before anyone buys "won't ship til this day" that way most of it will e sold by that time and you're not making frequent trips. I'm lucky enough that the local post office is just a few minutes away but I get where you're coming from

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Yup, it just makes it easier to use a flat rate box. Also, people might tack on a little extra to cover the paypal fee that gets taken out of every money transfer.
Yes, Paypal is expensive to use, I just shipped out a few packages and Paypal charged me .95 for each transaction. I don't add exhorbitant handling fees, I just charge enough to cover shipping, any packing materials, and Paypal. By the time you pack wet paper towels and plants, the package can get pretty heavy, and USPS is rather expensive. Depending on the location of the buyer, regular Priority or parcel shipping can cost the same as flat rate shipping. If you live somewhat close to the buyer, send them a PM and ask if they can reduce shipping fees. I recently sold some plants to someone local, and was able to reduce shipping by .75. Priority cost the same as parcel in that instance. If a seller won't consider working with you, I'd consider waiting for a seller who would. There are plenty of sellers here. :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Shipping costs + PayPal fees. Remember that a lot of pack and ship places charge extra (little mom and pop type places, which can be a lot more convenient than standing in line at the post office). I know I have tried to sell stuff with cheap shipping and I ended up making almost nothing, in some cases actually LOSING money.

I shipped two 24" aquarium light strips with bulbs. I had to buy cling wrap, because I was out ($3) sent it UPS (almost $17) and had to pay the Paypal fees (~$1.50)....I sold them for $25 shipped. I also had to scavenge Styrofoam and a box from work. When you consider my gas to drive to Staples, I basically lost money, but the buyer was very pleased.

If you only charge the actual shipping cost, selling a small amount of plants is mostly a labor of love...

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I don't accept Paypal funded by a credit or debit card for that reason unless the buyer sends enough money to cover the fees. I refuse to be robbed by them. Yes, I am that cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store