Should I use sand or gravel with African Cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
play sand needs to be vigorously washed before use pretty much nasty stuff and they market it for our children aye, pool sand is nice with the tan earth tones in all but will need to be washed as well..

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I have play sand in mine as well. No brown icky mud here. I think you just need to rinse it *really* well. In fact, when I vacuum, it doesn't even float around, just drops back down. I couldn't find pool filter sand. Anyway though, I liked the look of the sand so much in my cichlid tank, that I changed out my gravel for sand in my other tank too.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
yep when it is spring i am going to take all gravel out of 5 tanks and do all sand aragonite and pool sand, thats going to be fun..

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
I've kept & bred cichlids for years now & I use small gravel & they enjoy sifting through it.

BUT I am planning to switch to black pool filter sand or the eco-complete sand or something of that nature, next year when I stop being lazy. I'm doing it b/c I know that cichlids love sand & b/c i've never tried it to compare it to the crushed corral/gravel mix that I currently use. :headbang2:

The downside to sand, as I've read it to be from hobbyists, is the cost, the reported hairline scratches to the glass of the aquarium, (same thing w/ gravel) & that it clogs many filters & pumps/powerheads to an extent that some people with sand are switching back over to gravel.

All in all though, I think it's worth trying & see how it works for you.

gjx/ljx :thm:

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
yep when it is spring i am going to take all gravel out of 5 tanks and do all sand aragonite and pool sand, thats going to be fun..

PITB, I must let you know RIGHT NOW that I respect VERY MUCH the fact that you are OBVIOUSLY not as lazy as I am!! :headshake2:

Here I am lamenting that I gotta do one tank & you plan to do 5!! :eek3:

I wanna change over to sand, but I've got 13 Kitumba Fronts, 5 leleupi & 2 brichardi that I gotta consider/catch before I make that transition & just thinking about doing that in a 150 g, makes me go into a holdiong pattern & think about it longer!

I KNOW you probably have more than I do to catch or consider to make the change & b/c of THAT my hats is off to you!
:headbang2:
lol

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
thanks lovejones yeah i say it now but when it is time i am sure i will conjure an excuse up aye i definitely want to do the 120gal and 55gal hehehe thanks buddy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store