shrimp, functional or just for show

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Shrimp don't eat nearly as much algae as claimed, unless you get a lot of them. They also tend to eat only the softer algae so a lot of the problematic ones will be ignored. Only ghost shrimp and some of the more bigger ones will attack weak fish, but for the most part they are peaceful.

I'm not sure if there are good books on freshwater shrimp, or if those books contain any new information not already posted. For the most part shrimp are easy to keep as long as you have good tankmates and good water.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
I have Amanos in here.
There's one in the front bottom center.

Amanos
Corys
Neons
Otos
Flame Tetras
Harleys

They are almost always wanderign around sticking their noses into something. Digging in wood creavises, moss, plants etc.

They dive right in with the corys when shrimp pellets hit the bottom.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Thanks.
I'm working on making my intake/outlet tubes all but dissapear.
Now if I could find some acrylic heater wires! I'd have it made.

My first diy outlet tube here > Faux glass output tube
Waiting on some parts to make a couple of intakes that are more (baby)shrimp safe, I hope.

CPAqua

AC Members
Aug 23, 2009
MN
Both function and show. I initially got my 2 Whisker Shrimp when I saw the prices of Crayfish at the LFS. When I was younger, I used to be able to get crayfish out of the lake we lived on so I had a problem spending that much on them! I have been quite pleased with my relatively inexpensive shrimp purchase!

The two shrimp are almost always doing something. Scurrying around searching for food. As soon as the flakes hit the surface of the water they are running about searching for them. I also feed the fish occasional peas. One time I dropped the pea skin into the tank accidently. I was rolling my sleeve up to get it back, but one of the shrimp took it and scurried off with it, like it was his prized possession. I now drop the skins in for them.

They almost constantly clean the bottom of the tank and are almost always visible. I have yet to see them go after any of the fish.

See if you can spot both of them in the picture below. Hint: You would not see them in this picture if they were on the ground.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
my guess is they're swimming at the top, one to the left and one in the center.
How long do shrimp live?

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
The neos only live for about a year, but Amanos can live up to 15 years. I have one that's getting ready to turn 9.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
Where would I find amano shrimp? I'm in central Texas. What are the water requirements?Should they be put in a well established tank? I have two filters on my 20 gal that are rated for up to 30 gal, I would start a new planted tank and swap out a new filter for an old filter with bacteria colonies already established to beat the curve on breaking the tank in. Are there articles here on shrimp husbandry? or should I just scan through the forum for info?Thanks,

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
One of the shrimp is at he center pic on a piece of driftwood, not sure about the second, shrimp are awesome, but im debating if snails are just as awesome

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store