Shrimp tank disaster - the tank of death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I've also used this gravel in my shrimp tank without a problem. I have high Ph to begin with but I haven't seen a shift. Perhaps since you use part RO, there wasn't enough of a buffer to prevent a Ph swing? This is a total guess.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Perhaps since you use part RO, there wasn't enough of a buffer to prevent a Ph swing? This is a total guess.
I was thinking about the Ro water as well--but your KH seems high enough to provide enough of a buffer--but I to am only guessing. I don't think I would use RO water for Red Cherry Shrimps as they need aged water full of the things that live in the water. RO takes them out.

The lack of babies and rapid deaths appears to me to be overfeeding. ***Before I get slammed***hear me out. Do your shrimps not show an active swarming of their food when it gets placed into the tanks? Are they lethargic and just picking at food?

Your situation sounds an aweful lot like what happened to me when I started raising shrimps. My Red Cherries were reproducing very well and all parameters were a-okay. Then I began to notice that there no babies and then my shrimps started to die off and I was left with just a few survivors in a matter of days. I found this die off phenomenon was not just happening to me but from other forums dedicated to just shrimps/inverts. A lot of shrimps keepers have lost many if not all of their shrimps due to something that appears just like this. The only explanation is that it is tied to overfeeding with all parameters testing out as 'good'. As soon as I corrected the feeding schedule and restricted myself to feeding very infrequently, my shrimps population exploded. The most difficult thing that I learned was that I could not feed the shrimps as if they were fish because they are not fish.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I was thinking about the Ro water as well--but your KH seems high enough to provide enough of a buffer--but I to am only guessing. I don't think I would use RO water for Red Cherry Shrimps as they need aged water full of the things that live in the water. RO takes them out.

The lack of babies and rapid deaths appears to me to be overfeeding. ***Before I get slammed***hear me out. Do your shrimps not show an active swarming of their food when it gets placed into the tanks? Are they lethargic and just picking at food?

Your situation sounds an aweful lot like what happened to me when I started raising shrimps. My Red Cherries were reproducing very well and all parameters were a-okay. Then I began to notice that there no babies and then my shrimps started to die off and I was left with just a few survivors in a matter of days. I found this die off phenomenon was not just happening to me but from other forums dedicated to just shrimps/inverts. A lot of shrimps keepers have lost many if not all of their shrimps due to something that appears just like this. The only explanation is that it is tied to overfeeding with all parameters testing out as 'good'. As soon as I corrected the feeding schedule and restricted myself to feeding very infrequently, my shrimps population exploded. The most difficult thing that I learned was that I could not feed the shrimps as if they were fish because they are not fish.

My shrimp have always seemed pretty active, swimming around alot more than I ever expected. Any food I placed in their tank was completely gone within a few hours. and they still graze on algae and through the substrate.
The females are heavily berried, they arent being lazy and not reproducing, the babies are either not hatching, or being eaten by something else in the tank. I found leeches living in the substrate, did some research and discovered that tiny inverts are a delicacy to them.

I caught and disposed of some sizeable leeches, apparently feasting on my cherry shrimplets. The only way I knew I could totally irradicate them was to remove the substrate where they live.

Until recently this tank was also home to 3 otos which are now living in my 20 gal yellow shrimp tank without any issues.

I have done 4 waterchanges and have gotten the ph to about 7.8 which is close to where it was I think. They seem to be stabilizing somewhat now. I have lost about half of them so far. hopefully they start to recover.

Exotic_inverts

Registered Member
Jul 27, 2008
Greetings, I was reading your post about leaches, do you mean planaria, the flat white worm? I also believe they can be harmful to shrimplettes but the adult shouldn't just be dying off. I do have to say 8.8 ph is very high. When I get some type of worm or whatever doesn't belong in my gravel I carfully use a syphon and cut way back on feeding. You should consider getting some live plants once you solve your death issue. Best of luck & try to get that ph down and stabilized.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Greetings, I was reading your post about leaches, do you mean planaria, the flat white worm? I also believe they can be harmful to shrimplettes but the adult shouldn't just be dying off. I do have to say 8.8 ph is very high. When I get some type of worm or whatever doesn't belong in my gravel I carfully use a syphon and cut way back on feeding. You should consider getting some live plants once you solve your death issue. Best of luck & try to get that ph down and stabilized.

this was a hevily planted 20 gal tank, had leeches, not planaria.
they were gray and about 3 inches long.

Removed all the plants, and then the substrrate to rid the leeches.

Added new substrate which seems to have killed a lot of my shrimp.
My 5 other shrimp tanks are doing just fine.

the Ph rose up when I added the new substrate. I originaly thought the Ph spike might have killed them off, now I think its a bacterial issue with then new gravel.

I have moved the survivors to a 15 gal batrebottom Qt and treated with Maracyn I & II. They seem to be doing better.

Lost about 45-50 shrimp.
Hope the rest make it.

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Ouch! good luck and stick with it!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sorry for this mess you're going through Zig. When you moved things around in preparation for the new substrate it might be possible you exposed them to too much substrate nasties. It is a very fragile process to expose fish to uprooting things in the tank, I would imagine it's similar for fish. I do it once in a while but slowly and it takes many, many hours and many partial water changes to suck out disturbed mulm quickly and replace with fresh water. I don't even want to guess how much water I use when I do this. The best thing to do is take tank inhabitants out temporarily when stirring things up and put them back when you're finished. Just my 2 cents.

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Sorry for this mess you're going through Zig. When you moved things around in preparation for the new substrate it might be possible you exposed them to too much substrate nasties. It is a very fragile process to expose fish to uprooting things in the tank, I would imagine it's similar for fish. I do it once in a while but slowly and it takes many, many hours and many partial water changes to suck out disturbed mulm quickly and replace with fresh water. I don't even want to guess how much water I use when I do this. The best thing to do is take tank inhabitants out temporarily when stirring things up and put them back when you're finished. Just my 2 cents.

I was pretty careful, I vacced out as much as possible. removed the substrate, vacced up any debris and did a 50% waterchange.
All was fine for 2 days with no substrate.
I added new substrate and POOF!! Dead shrimp

Found about 5 more dead ones today

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I just can't think of anything. :huh: Man....I hope things pick up for your shrimps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store