Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
i just got 12 a few days ago but they havent touched the black beard algae. how long does it normally take? i dont feed them algae wafers or any other vegetarian foods.
Don't expect them to eat everything as quick as possible. They may not be able to eliminate every algae there is but they can put it under control.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
here are some pics of the ones i bought. they are a little over an inch. no color on their fins and the stripe goes to the end of the tail. they school nicely.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
no, I had mine for about a month as I watched the BB grow all around. What I wound up doing was not feed for 3 days. When I started back to feeding, I began to gradually notice the algae lessen more and more each day. Your guys are about as little as mine were. I would say give them a month for break in period and then fast the entire tank for 3 days. I found this way, they still do go for flake and pellets but they also keep the bba in check.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Depending on the size, it's going to take a minute for them to start eating the BBA. They'll start on any other type of algae first, even stuff you don't notice. I have a small case of BBA, but I hadn't noticed it in my java moss. Since I got my SAE's, my java moss has never looked better. Didn't even have a clue it was covered in algae. It's greener than it's ever been.

Also, I've seen my SAE's eating shirmp pellets and some flake food. To "jump start" you could do a 3 day fast for the whole aquarium. On top of that, sure, they eat BBA, but it's not like they'll eat all of it in a couple of days. Give it time, like a month or 6 weeks.

Also, always good to know the scientific name. I went to Albany Aquarium, they sell them under the common name "Siamese Flying Fox". It was like word vomit. Anyway, I started to say that's not what I wanted, but then I saw the scientific name "C. Siamensis" and took 3 home. I've noticed the big chain stores selling "Algae Eater" or "Asian Algae Eater". Who knows what it is, could be C. Siamensis(probably not) could be Gara taeniata.

And, on that note, Albany Aquarium in Albany, CA has them. They aren't cheap, 3 for $15, but it's a good LFS, so I don't mind the price. Point is, if you are in the Bay Area, they have them, and if you aren't, they said they ship.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store