Sick Betta, cant figure out whats wrong! Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Was the UGF running before?

Try offering some different foods to entice him--bloodworms are a favorite of my betta.

Tekhna

AC Members
Aug 17, 2004
OrionGirl said:
Was the UGF running before?

Try offering some different foods to entice him--bloodworms are a favorite of my betta.

No, the UGF has not yet run in this tank.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
"No, I wouldn't use the antibiotics. Without knowing if there's a bacteria that's causing a problem,..."

Hi Onion Girl. Just wondering... everything I'm reading I'm reading in my fish problems book is pointing to a Chilonodella, ....'specially because of the mucus/slime around his gills. What do you think?

...excessive mucus on body or gills, cloudy or hazy skin and colors (looks like that in the pic). Rapid breathing and sluggishness. Sometimes only rapid breathing is noticed, followed by lethargy and eventually.... the end.

Treatment is the same as for ICK. Get some ICK medication (ask LFS which is most successful), increase aeration to help breathing ... add an airstone nearby, keep the tank lights off and the tank dark as possible, raise the temp to 85 by 1 degree every five hours and maintain these conditions over the 10 day treatment period. - Source: The Complete Aquarium Problem Solver. A Troubleshooting Guide for Freshwater and Marine Aquariums. TetraPress. Kevin W. Boyd.

Tekhna

AC Members
Aug 17, 2004
pl*co said:
"No, I wouldn't use the antibiotics. Without knowing if there's a bacteria that's causing a problem,..."

Hi Onion Girl. Just wondering... everything I'm reading I'm reading in my fish problems book is pointing to a Chilonodella, ....'specially because of the mucus/slime around his gills. What do you think?

...excessive mucus on body or gills, cloudy or hazy skin and colors (looks like that in the pic). Rapid breathing and sluggishness. Sometimes only rapid breathing is noticed, followed by lethargy and eventually.... the end.

Treatment is the same as for ICK. Get some ICK medication (ask LFS which is most successful), increase aeration to help breathing ... add an airstone nearby, keep the tank lights off and the tank dark as possible, raise the temp to 85 by 1 degree every five hours and maintain these conditions over the 10 day treatment period. - Source: The Complete Aquarium Problem Solver. A Troubleshooting Guide for Freshwater and Marine Aquariums. TetraPress. Kevin W. Boyd.

That has to be it... I didn't mention what seems to be hyperventilation, and that is what it is describing. Treat it like ich?
How long is the cycle, as in how long does it take to be lethal?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oh my, another person calling me by the Onion... :)

I think that sounds more likely than a bacterial infection.

aquaguy1331

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
make sure you start a treatment soon. unfortunatly most fish dieses are fast comming and fast killing. i like 'super-ich plus' (it's a neon green package)

p.s. i know that attachment thing you have with your beta. i had one named sam that i had for like 3 years. :sad

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
oh gawd. I was hoping to fix that before you noticed oRiongirl. For weeks I have been wondering.... onion? :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store