sick clown loach..need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Here's something you may not have known, clowns like higher temperatures, similar to those of discus. I would love to get a 125g tank and make it a planted discus tank with clowns.

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
stik6shift98
Sounds like ich, clowns are very suseptable to ich, Raise the tempature and there are a couple of meds on the market for curing ich. Don't know the names, mine don't get it.

loachaholic

AC Members
Being scale-less fish makes treatment somewhat problematic. You want to be kind of careful about any medication that contains malachite green or formalin. For loaches with ich, by far the best and least dangerous medication is copper. I use CopperSafe.

I've never bought a clown loach that didn't get ich at first - they really are prone to it.

Here's an article about ich:

Article about Ich

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Hey loach, whats goin on?

I found out months ago that according to studies, loaches do infact have scales, very very very tiny ones. It is a common mistake, but they do have them. I don't remember where I read it, but it was months ago and I kept forgetting to mention it.

loachaholic

AC Members
You're right, NJDF, they do have tiny scales embedded in their skin. However, for treatment purposes I refer to them as "scaleless" because most medications have that on their label.

How's that sick loach doing?

georgiak

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2006
sick clown

Hi there,

I really appreciate all of your contributions to this forum.

Here's my contribution

I noticed yesterday that some of my fish have Ich. A kissing fish and three bleeding heart tetras died overnight. (the aquarium was closed yesterday being easter sunday)

Today, I went to the Aquarium and bought some ammonia and nitrite testers
and it turns out they were both too high (the nitrite more so)
The people at the aquarium said I was not to put medication for Ich in the water as it can have an adverse affect because of the ammonia and nitrite levels being too high - basically I may kill all the fish. The advise I've been given is to do frequent water changes - the Aquarium suggested every second day.

So I was doing a water change earlier when the loach starts bolting around the tank, stiring up the gravel and then come to a holt on it's back. I thought it had a heart attack but I looked again and it's still breathing. Anyway now he looks like hes had a stroke. :sick: He's just laying on his back (breathing) but he is swimming around upside down!!

I seperated him from all the other fish and added a few drops of the medication in his water. I'll see what happens (but sadly I think he will die) :huh: Terrible ailment that Ich.

If I could turn back time I would have educated :read: myself better in order to have avoided a few dead fish.

Well, that's life.

Loaches are fun and I will definitely be getting another one when my tank is safe.

Cheerio. :dive2:

Amac

Registered Member
Mar 2, 2009
It started out with one of my clown loaches doing the on the side thing, then after a week of meds he seemed fine. So I stopped using them then six days later another one started to do the side thing so I started meds again. Now the first guy is back to doing the side thing although the other one is fine. After reading this forum I have raised the temp a little bit. I have them on are Pimafix and Melafix. The PH was about 7.6 a week ago and the temp currently is 80ºF. It is a ten gallon tank but they are only about 2-3 inches long and once they get better I will put them in a 20 long. I was just wondering if their was anything else I could do?
P.S. It took me months to find these guys and although all my fish are like my family these are very special to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store