Sick goldfish. Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Sorry to hear about your lost.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Thank you. I still want to know what caused his death. He was a great little fish. I raised him from an egg. I have two of his brothers left from the same batch of eggs and one older brother from an earlier batch, as well as his mom, dad, aunt and two uncles.

They all seem fine, just a little depressed. They keep looking at the spot where I found him dead. It is times like these that I think that whole 2 second memory for fish is not true. It has been 15 hours and they still swim over to the spot, stare at it, and then look at me as if to say "where did you take him?" It is so sad. His mom and dad are constantly doing that more so than the rest, although the rest are doing it too.

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
It is times like these that I think that whole 2 second memory for fish is not true.
I can’t tell you enough how much I disagree with that theory, to tell you the truth I found it very insulting even though I’ am not a fish! My finned-friends are not mindless zombies that can’t remember what happened 3 seconds ago. When my younger Oscar past away, the lager one stood by its side and waited unit I removed it from the tank, and it also stopped eating for 3 days. My goldfish always come up to the surface waiting for me to feed them. My Convicts always follow my movement; they come closer to the surface as I walk closer to their tank with great anticipation of being fed (they get every hyper). They also remember the bad things that you do to them. My Oscars used to come closer to the surface, but right now they are angry at me; I recently upgraded them to a bigger tank, and they have stopped eating for two day now. I constantly have to relocate them back to the old tank so they can eat; I have stop that now and have just let them be, when they are hungry (hungry enough) they will eat.
I still want to know what caused his death.
I really do hope that you find the answers that you seek (Better chance of avoiding a repeated attack)!

I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
These guys are tearing my heart out. They keep swimming over the spot where the baby died and the mother nosed at the gravel, not sucking the gravel, just touching it with her nose. The rest of them just keep swimming over the spot and staring at it. It is so sad to watch.

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Yes indeed, this is the worst part of this “hobby,” some of us joined without even realizing that the lost of the ones that we swore to protect would be the worst surprise that we would ever receive for all of our efforts. Yes, it’s never easy to lose a member of our family, the worst part is not knowing if their true family or tank mates realize what has happened, if they can hear your apologies, if they can understand that it wasn’t your fault and that you did all that you could. I guess happiness comes with a price, but we must remain strong because this won’t be the last!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Thank you for your kind words and for your help. You are right. All that live die, and we will see eachother again soon.

On a happier note, I found a baby Platy. A cute little guy. I'll have to edit my tank lists.

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Beeker said:
Thank you for your kind words and for your help. You are right. All that live die, and we will see eachother again soon.

On a happier note, I found a baby Platy. A cute little guy. I'll have to edit my tank lists.

Sorry to hear about your fish, I lost a Platy this week. Not sure why. It happens. Congrats on the baby Platy!

Tom

fancyaries

Registered Member
Nov 24, 2005
My sympathies

Beeker said:
Thank you. I still want to know what caused his death. He was a great little fish. I raised him from an egg. I have two of his brothers left from the same batch of eggs and one older brother from an earlier batch, as well as his mom, dad, aunt and two uncles.

They all seem fine, just a little depressed. They keep looking at the spot where I found him dead. It is times like these that I think that whole 2 second memory for fish is not true. It has been 15 hours and they still swim over to the spot, stare at it, and then look at me as if to say "where did you take him?" It is so sad. His mom and dad are constantly doing that more so than the rest, although the rest are doing it too.
:sad: I am sorry about your fish**I too have one that just died...its so sad....I feel your pain! Keep your chin up and love the fish you still have.,..I think I will spend today changing the aquarium water.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store