Sick or beaten up????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:thumbsup:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
x2 Good stuff - hopefully you have contained any probs - good luck with it.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Sorry to hear about your issue! Septic for sure; poor guy. Maracyn2 has good effect against gram negative sepsis; you can combine it with regular maracyn to help prevent co-infection with a gram positive species. This is why you hear the standard maracyn/maracyn2 co-treatment paradigm. If you can get your hands on kanamycin (Seachem Kanacyn) it also has good effect on gram negative bugs. You have several good options here for antibiotic Tx. Good luck!

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Update:

Tank divider is now in place and just gave the second dose of maracyn2.

Goldie - the Gourami - is starting to look better already. He is more active and does not look quite so 'raggity'. He is swimming around more and is eating so I guess we are on the road to recovery.

Bippitty - the Angel - is just annoyed at me messing up his tank with the divider :) (Just before Christmas I got 3 Angels and named them Bippitty, Boppitty, and Boop.)

I am still unsure how to attack the problem with the new 'free fish'.

The Nitrate levels are still high and I would really like to get them down some before I start to medicate. I am thinking that I will just have to be a little more aggressive with the water changes and bring the levels down a little quicker.

I am afraid that if I wait too long there won't be anyone left to medicate. I was thinking that my WC for them tomorrow will be closer to 35% instead of 25% to be able to speed things up a little - or would it be better to start doing daily changes of maybe 25%???

It is hard to know how fast/slow to go with this type of issue. I have cut the Nitrates in Half in a week - they are now somewhere between 40 - 80 PPM. My first few tests of the water showed the readings were off the charts so it is getting better. I tested 3 times because I could not believe the readings... and Yes - I shake all of my testing liquids before using them - especially the Nitrate tests.

Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

cmartin

Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
A couple of new pics - I think he is starting to looks better.

Why is it that you never see the streaks and dirt on the tanks until you take pics???? :headshake2:

goldie.jpg goldie1.jpg

cmartin

Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Just a bit of an update:

The redness is fading and he seems much more lively today.
He is back to trying to beat up the 'Other Gourami' he sees in the glass :)
He spends most of his day trying to beatup his reflection and when he gets tired of that he goes after the Angel.

That is why I was so surprised to see him in bad shape - 90% of the chasing was done by the Gourami not the Angel. I guess that on atleast one occasion the Angel decided not to run away!

He must be 'on the mend' as he is also trying to attack the Angel through the divider. I was told that a Gold Gourami could 'hold their own' with an Angel but I did not know that they were this aggressive and wanted to attack things all the time. This Angel outgrew the others (3 were bought at the same time) and once he got some size on them he terrorized them almost nonstop. That is why he was moved to another tank. Then it really seemed to be a waste to have a tank with just one Angel so I went looking for someone as a tankmate. For 6 weeks they got along fine - a little chasing but the Angel is so fast that the Gourami never catches him - not a mark on the Angel - he is perfect. So now I guess I have to decide how to rearrange living quarters again. At least the tank divider gives me a little time to get things setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store