sick (?) pleco slowly starving to death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plecoman

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
Columbia, TN.
Let me give you some info on the aquaclears. While they work great, they will not re-start after being down for a couple of hours. I had heard of problems with them, after a long power outtage, not being able to restart. But then all my friends swore by them so I bought some. I put an AC 30 on one of my breeding tanks. I would unplug it when I put the small fry food in the tank, so that the filter wouldn't pull it all in. I would leave the filter down an hour or two. During this time my sponge filters were still running. When I would go back to plug the AC 30 back in, all the water had drained out of the filter. It would never restart. I would have to refill the filter with water before it would run again! I know that some people say that they have never had problems with this, but I go out of town a lot. I can't afford to take a chance on coming back to a burnt up filter or even worse, dead fish. Also, let me tell you that my tank was full of water and the AC 30 was sitting perfectly level when this problem occured. It has happened more than once! I had two AC 70's that I had bought for my new 75 gallon tank. They had not been opened yet, so back to pet smart they went! Even though they work great when running, I'll not put another one on any of my tanks. I'll not take that chance with my fish! :)

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I've never been more glad to scoop up his stringy poop.
Words only a fishlover can really appreciate!!:grinyes:

Yay for Leopard eating!

Plecoman, that's the first time I've heard that. I have 50's, and 70's on my small tanks and 110's on my large tanks, lost power for several hours the other night and everything started up like a charm. We do get a few power outages a year where I am and I've never experienced any of my HOB's not coming back on. None of my filters drain themselves out when the power's been off.

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have an ehiem canister filter, a heater, and some driftwood if you need it. Let me know.
8D for free?

grrr can't decide on what kind of filter to get =P

He's got....some kind of wood in there, purchased from a fish store
i'm not sure if that's the proper kind. Plus i'll need a much much bigger chunk for the new tank

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
You pay shipping and it's yours.
8D for free?

grrr can't decide on what kind of filter to get =P

He's got....some kind of wood in there, purchased from a fish store
i'm not sure if that's the proper kind. Plus i'll need a much much bigger chunk for the new tank

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
You pay shipping and it's yours.

Beth!! That's awesome! You da woahman!

Srenaeb, I'll send you some Hikari wafers for your hungry little dude, (or dudette), Leopard.

Since you don't know his/her sex, if you don't like the name Leopard, you could call him/her - Pat, or Chris, Or Jean/Gene, or ...... tee hee.... sorry, I've been watching re-runs of Saturday Night Live.

Srenaeb

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
dear Melody, Leopard's stopped eating those expensive hikari flakes >..>
I think that started this "slow starvation"

I think I'm going to keep switching up his food every now and then and see if he'll feel like flakes again in a few months =( what a picky fish!!

And many many many many thanks to Beth!! =D

(Cowbells? O_O *reference not found*)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store