Sickly Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I'm going to post this now so that I don't forget the results.
At 8:40 am water from tap at about 73 degrees F.

PH is 6.4 (used two different test kits to check)
KH is 40 ppm (Hagen test kit took 2 drops to pale yellow and 3 to the yellow on the book)
Gh is 60 ppm

Tank water is
PH 7.4
KH 30 ppm
GH 60 ppm

No there are no shells or anything in the tank, 3 coconut shell halves, and 3 pieces of driftwood that has been in a while.

Anything else I should check for now? I will leave the same cup setting out until tomorrow.

(I counted from the first drop which is wrong, so i went back and fixed the KH and GH.)

Last edited:

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I too have found rams to be very sensitive. I bought a bunch of fish from a local breeder who is known for excellent quality / healthy fish, including 2 Blue rams. All of the fish (including several other dwarf cichlids) did well except the Rams. I lost the female after 2 days, the male after 6 days. My water parameters are very good and in the range suitable for Rams.

From all I have read, losing 2 out of 10 is not bad

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Next day...

PH from tap that sat overnight is, well it depends on which brand I use. Aquarium Pharm. test says about 7.2 The Hagen low range say 7.6 and the high range shows less than 7.6.

Also in the tank after a very small water change (maybe 15%)
the AP test says 6.6 to 6.8 the Hagen low range says 7.4.

The LFS says my Ph is 6.6 and that I have a low buffer (didn't say what it was though).

I need to go back to being a newbie........Or throw away all of my tests:rolleyes: .

Anyway thanks for any help. I really would like to keep my Ph about 6.6 to 7.0 for my Angels and Rams. (two different tanks)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store