Silent canisters, REALLY?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Philgo

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Personally I think there are a lot of people that should have hearing tests.

I've had quite a few different Eheims and they all make a humming noise, it's not possible to make something like that absolutely silent. Having said that they make only half the noise that Fluval make, never had a filstar.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
My hearing is fine and I am not kidding when I say that my eheims are silent. I can be under the tank with my head in the stand and I am right next to the filter and there is absolutely no sound coming from these filters. If yours are making noise then maybe something about yours is not quite right.

Marinemom

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have a pair of Eheim Pro II 2026. One is running for 5 years with pressurized co2 run through it as well. The other is about 3.5 years old. Both are totally quiet- I either have to touch them or look at the flow meter ball to know they are running.

portabuddy

The Best Registered User EVER...
Oct 29, 2006
mississauga ontario canada
I have the rena xp3 and the ehime 2217 and they are so quiet that i dont know they are running(unless they catch bubbles), the xp3 has been with me for about 3 years and it hasent developed any kind of humm but thats in part due to the fact that i disasemble all of my filters and powerheads every couple of months and totaly clean them out.

Philgo

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
I simply can't accept that if you are in a quiet room with no other noise that you can't hear your filters, it's not possible to be that silent, the job they do must create some noise.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
On mine I can only hear the water from the spray bar if the water level is too low. There is no motor/impeller sound and I do have sensitive ears - the only "hum" coming from the fish tank is the fluorescent light. When the light is off, there is no noise unless you are right on the floor by the filter. Apparently Germans do both cars and canister filters very well. ;)

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Yep, those Germans know what they are doing when it comes to these filters.

Marinemom

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
i have a rena xp3.
It is quiet, but I know when its on.
It doesnt make much noise at all, but I can hear it. NOTHING annoying at all. I am very pleased with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store