Silicone to Attach Coral to LR?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
I have a Montipora frag, and it keeps getting knocked of its perch by my CUC. Can I use All Glass Aquarium brand Silicone to adhere it to a rock? The stuff says it's saltwater safe.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
No - although it can actually cure underwater, it messes with your water quality quite a bit when curing underwater - an easy way to promote a tank crash IMO.

Try superglue (even the dollar store stuff is safe FWIW), a commercial frag glue, or an epoxy adhessive (like this).

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
I think frag glue is better than the colored stick that you mix up.Looks much more natural.You cant even see it.The stick stands out like a sore thumb until it grows over.The frag glue you buy at pet shop is the same thing as regular super glue but a lot thicker and wont run as easy.You might be able to find some thick regular super glue and save a couple bucks.If not regular super glue works just fine and wont hurt your water.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Super Glue Gel works best... the liquid super glue is just too thin and more difficult to work with.

fish addict

AC Addict
Mar 6, 2005
Wilmington, NC
I got a tube of the liquid Super Glue, and it worked great. I patted a piece of LR dry with a paper towel, poured on a little glue, and attached the Coral. It all only took about 20 sec.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store