Silver Dollar and Convict Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vermilk

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
One of my five silver dollars has developed some very dark markings overnight. The markings are definitely a natural pattern and are almost black. Does anyone know why this is taking place?

My mated convicts have decided that they are no longer friends. One of them is being chased and is in hiding due to the aggressiveness of the other. Any ideas why they have decided to detest each other?

Thanks!

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
What do they look like, these black markings they got over night?

Some species of silver dollar develop block spots and its completely normal. The first time mine got 2 over night (he's about 4 inches) I was a little worried, but through research I found several articles on this and its their pattern, thats all.

What are the markings and how large are the silver dollars?

Sorry I have no idea about convicts

vermilk

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
The markings are similar to vertical stripes. Since my first post, they have faded considerably.

My silver dollars are 3 - 4 inches.

My convicts are still apart.

CBR954RR

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I have 4 silver dollars that a friend gave me, and every now and then when i get up one or two of them will have two black spots close to the gill area. Im not sure but im thinkin it might be a sign they are ready to breed as i watch them and looks like they are trying, but seems my other fish realize it too and follow them around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store