Simply Discus Hobbyist Challenge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
May it set a new trend--or at least kick holes in the "conventional wisdom"--for the winner of this prestigious contest to do it with a planted tank. This notion that discus can only be "properly" raised (said with nose in air and teacup in hand, pinky finger extended in aristocratic snobbery) in a boring bare-bottom, bare-everything tank is long overdue for revision.

It goes against everything that has been learned about proper captive keeping of any living thing: they do best when in an environment as close as possible to the one they occupy in nature. Zookeepers have known this for years. A sterile bare box is....well, not that. Your tank was beautiful and I choose to believe that your fish grew better, at least in part, because they were mentally occupied and more comfortable and--dare I say it?--happier than the others. Not that my opinion matters, the results speak for themselves.

Huzzah and excellent job. :)
A BIG AMEN!!!!

And +1 more on the vote my friend!

Last edited:

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
How big is your tank? I like it and your discus and their colors. I have one discus that is the same color, one of my favorites, I have 10 discus not including my fry. Eventually I would like to get a 180 gallon tank and get more discus when I move to a new house.

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
How big is your tank? I like it and your discus and their colors. I have one discus that is the same color, one of my favorites, I have 10 discus not including my fry. Eventually I would like to get a 180 gallon tank and get more discus when I move to a new house.
Sorry for the later reply. I've been off the forums for a bit. Anyway, that's a 110 tall. ;)

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
Thank you to everyone that followed the contest, voted and commented. It was an awesome experience and I believe that are many folks out there that sow how raising discus in a planted tank can be easier than any other method. I took the people's choice but came in second on the overall win. This contest was SOOOOOO competative. Everyone did an awesome job and I was honored to participate.

Best wishes!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Nice to here from you Chad! Hope all is well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store