Six Gallon Cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
My appologies if I have offended any of you, but it's the truth, your fish are boring.

Umm, my brevis' are more boring than my otos.

I don't think this statement was really necessary. While I am not offended, I don't think cichilds are the only fish out there with great personality... you might try a Paradise fish, days paradise fish, badis, or even a betta some time... All of these species have more personallity then what I have seen in brevis'.

There are some fish out there that I don't know what anybody wants to keep, but I don't bash the specie(s) because it can only cause problems. Also, just about every specie of fish has something very unique and interesting... I don't believe that there is a truly boring fish.

On another note, a sole J transcriptus will also do well. You may also look into some apistos, many, when kept as the sole fish in the tank, will go nicely in a planted 6g.

HTH

P.S.
Even though I find my brevis' boring, I still enjoy them. I am not trying to discourage this specie either...

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
Bettas, goldfish, and cichlids have a lot of personality.
i'm just getting into cichlids, i recently discovered that there is a such thing as a PEACEFUL cichlid! i never really ventured into the cichlid section of my lfs. everyone i knew who had cichlids had horror stories of how they had a tank of fish and soon ended up with just one murderous cichlid that would kill everything else.
i love my Kribs and Rams.
i have to say that livebearers can be boring. they all come in the same few colors and dont do much but make offspring....
and they arent that spectacular as far as looks go.
cichlids and bettas are by far the most attractive fish i've found.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
My appologies if I have offended any of you, but it's the truth, your fish are boring. (I say this in the nicest possible way, and with smile on my face)
Pumaward
I really just meant this as a playful ribbing between fellow fishheads. However I do stand by the opinion that a pair of cichlids in a 10g trumps any assemblage of common tropicals that you can put together.

I don't bash the specie(s) because it can only cause problems.
To clarify, I was not bashing a species, I was bashing the mishmash of species that often get thrown in a 10g by novice fishkeepers. It's not thier fault. We've all been there. My first 10g was a horrible assemblage of fish from the just about every continent. When you first get bit by the bug, you just gotta have one of everything.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just a quick note, since I first suggested the fish...Sorry for not adding more, and thanks to all who have filled in the 'gaps'. I seldom post in the Cichlid forum for the simple reason that I know very little about any of them. My first, and only, cichlids to date is a group of brichardi that are maturing up and taking over the tank. I first looked at shellies when setting up a 5 gallon tank for work some years back, and loved them, but could locate any (I've seen them twice since then, in different stores), and decided that meeting their water needs from this source would be challenging, so went another route. I suggested them simply on the basis of size and cool factor--sorry that I couldn't provide more info or any experience. :)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Oh, I'd also like to add that you should keep these fish in 'harems'...one male and 2 or more females.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Good One slappy. Multis were what I wanted originally, but all I could get at the auction were the brevis. I hear they are very active diggers and very fun to watch.

I've heard that multis are the smallest cichlid, but I've also heard that there is a species very closely related to brevis that is even smaller, but it's not available in the trade yet. A dwarf of a dwarf I guess.

erratum

AC Members
Mar 18, 2005
I've kept three N. multifasciatus in a 6 gal tank for the last 4 1/2 months ... Happy & healthy.

Be certain to use sand as your substrate & have a few home-sized shells in there ... at least 1 per fish. Don't be concerned with the landscaping of the substrate, as the little buggars will re-position the substrate as they see fit ... one lil' mouthful at a time. I spread across the substrate a couple of dozen small (1/4"-round), flat shells in the tank as well. It's great to watch them grab these & deposit them on the other end of the take.

I kinda wish I'd have gone with black sand instead of white, as it would have added a drastic contrast to the pale bodies of the multi's. Beautiful fish ... they have bright, baby-blue, very striking eyes.

mister ben

AC Members
Jan 22, 2005
mooman said:
To clarify, I was not bashing a species, I was bashing the mishmash of species that often get thrown in a 10g by novice fishkeepers. It's not thier fault. We've all been there. My first 10g was a horrible assemblage of fish from the just about every continent. When you first get bit by the bug, you just gotta have one of everything.

Amen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store