Skinny elephant nose fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Sorry, i messed up my tank dimensions, I would do a 23 long, but that might not help either. I would recommend just returning the fish for store credit and just getting a school of tetras, etc, maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids, small group of cores, and maybe 1 or 2 plecos.

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
I know nothing about these fish but have done a quick search (and they do look nice so I can understand the attraction!) Not sure if this info will help but ...

"The Elephant Nose is often seen for sale, and purchased due to its unusual appearance and activity. This fish however, is not for beginners, and should not be purchased unless you know exactly how to keep the fish properly.
An interesting feature of these fish is their possession of electroreceptors covering the head, dorsal, and ventral areas. The fish uses electrical discharges to find food, communicate with other fish of a similar type, and for breeding purposes. Elephant Nose's are also excellent hearers, and are very sensitive to noise and vibrations.
The fish are naturally nocturnal, and requires dark hiding spots in the aquarium. Because of their very sensitive 'noses', it is vital that the aquarium contains only a sandy bottom, since gravel substrates will damage the fish, leading to infections. Elephantnoses are best kept as individuals or in groups of 5 or more. It is not wise to keep pairs or smaller groups, as the fish are likely to bully weaker individuals.

Given the fishes demanding requirements, and because they are nocturnal, the initial 'novelty factor' will wear off, we would suggest that the fish is avoided for home aquariums."

Maybe he/she is lonely? Is it noisy is your house and that is upsetting him/her? Good luck :eek:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
^^^That is actually pretty good, it could be the filter, if it is one of the loud noisy HOB ones, it could be vibrating and making noise

what filter do you have?

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
Thats true ... the filter could be making vibrations. Also my air filter makes a lot of noise although I think it bothers me more than the fish!

Music affects fish too! I used to have a pair of gold sevrum that hated any load music/tv ... they would hide! Vibrations from wooden floors could also be an issue if you have kids running around ... these fish do sound quite sensitive to noise

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
Thats true ... the filter could be making vibrations. Also my air filter makes a lot of noise although I think it bothers me more than the fish!

Music affects fish too! I used to have a pair of gold sevrum that hated any load music/tv ... they would hide! Vibrations from wooden floors could also be an issue if you have kids running around ... these fish do sound quite sensitive to noise
Sorry ... forgive the dreadful pun!!

vombatus

AC Members
I have a Marineland biowheel filter in there and sometimes it does make some awful noise. Lately it has been behaving though. There is a Duetto internal filter in the tank too for extra filtration. Maybe that's causing too much vibration, even though it's completely quiet. I could take it out. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I don't think anything is wrong with the bio-wheel as mine is completely silent unless the impeller isn't aligned properly. Also, maybe the internal filter suction cups aren't put on or attached so it is vibrating. Try taking it out for a week and see how it goes.

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
Honestly, it sounds like internal parasites. Very common with wild caught fish. One thing that seems to work is culturing your own white worms. While culturing your worms, you would need to gutload them with a medication for parasites about 15 to 20 minutes before feeding them to your fish. Adding meds to the tank usually does not work as the fish do not drink the water, so meds cannot affect the parasites. Try to have several cultures going at the same time, just in case you accidentally overdose the meds and kill off a culture. This has worked for me for years. Good luck.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I don't know if this would work or not, u could try netting the elephant nose, and then pour the safe medicine over its gills or whatever it has. I think that would work as long as you do it cautiously and gently with meds that won't harm ur EN

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store