Slow die off has consumed nearly 20 fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I found some pictures that oddly I wasn't able to find last time I looked. Nothing that I can see looks like granulomas in this fish or any other fish I have dissected from this tank. But it does look an awful lot like a Mbuna I cut up but it was not in the muscle tissue, it was in an organ. Since that was in an organ my guess would be that it is something different than mycobacterisis though because granulomas are just a general response from the immune system.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Darn it! Youve butchered your cory. Just kidding! :)

Have you done any dissections in Bio Lab class? I used to have lamp similar to archectural lamp with few diff magnifying lenses you can rotate when doing dissection on the small fish. Not that I am suggesting one.
To perform necropsy/dissection on the fish, You really should have scarpel/forceps/scissor, pins (thumbtacks), magnifying glass and styrofoam/cork surface to pin fish/skin down.
Should be able to find decent dissecting kit for cheap online.

I remembered how I couldnt stand the smell that was coming off the rat to be dissected in Bio 101, let alone larger mammals to be dissected in other classes such as Anthro, etc, etc..

Unfortunately, it is close to impossible to distinguish/identify if any tissues/organs are abnormal from the pics. Besides, dont have any normal images to compare which can assist identifying any abnormalities. Thanks to internet, one may be able to find such images.

Google how to dissect fish and you should be able to find proper way to dissect.

Looking forward to what you may find in few trials involving peat.

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
btw, 55G barrel makes very nice decorative mini pond by the front door with all the water lilys/their flowers/other aquatic plants in the summer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store