Small algae eating fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
To the original poster, something I learned early on this forum is when you see someone post who has a post count in the thousands or even high hundreds I listen to there advice. Because if you listen to everyones your going to get lots of conflicting answers and many are from people just as experienced as you that don't know exactly what they are talking about. Jpappy has over 20,000 posts for a reason. Listen to the experts they know what they are talking about. Get a fish for that algae now and it's going to be stuck with you forever even when the algae goes away.

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
I noe that once algae is gone, i would be stuck with that fish forever.I dont really mind that. I have 3 corys and plannin to get more.I got 2 guppies and 6 glo light tetras. Do corys like beard algae?

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
If it's really beard algae there isn't much that likes it. I heard Siamese Algae Eaters will eat it and so will Amano shrimp. But not all of them, I know I have amano's and no Beard algae while I used to. But there are other variables like I stopped using a DIY CO2 system which probably helped get rid of it more then the shrimp but you never know.

Keeshaw

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
Eveyone says PLACO-PLACO-PLACO! Has knowone ever head of Farloella AKA twig cats? Don't get to big,and every bit as good as a placo.

clogstonian

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Seattle
Yet another opinion;

Here are a couple of other options depending on budget and availability. Panda Garra (Garra flavatra) . . these might get a little bigger than you ultimately want 3.5" but a pair of these are very entertaining and will nibble on your hands once they get acclimated . ... maybe more the "biofilm" feeder than a true algae eater but I always saw them grazing in my tank. Great in pairs. The second is anything from the Stiphodon genus around 2.5" (that's where mine have held fast for the past year) these get a little territorial with each other but do no real harm.

Too bad about the kid bro and pleco paranoia, bristlenose are the best!

Good luck

DSCN0069.JPG DSCN9528.JPG DSCN6738.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store