Small Landscape Ponds and Children

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I think it would need to be much closer to the surface--no more than 6 inches. And you'll need a very thick chunk--probably 1/2 inch or more. Might be costly. What about putting something like cactus or roses around the edge? Means a PITA for you to maintain the pond, but a thin barrier should be a significant deterrent, I'd think.

Finding the leak won't be fun--wish I could think of a clever way to make that easier for you!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Originally posted by OrionGirl
Are you actually discouraging someone from minimizing the chances that someone could be killed on their property in a pond? That's sure what it sounds like.
ROFLMAO.

I was saying, you could either take the risk or not. You might not be able to 100% protect your yard from children... or the other way around. If JetService cannot guarantee his pond as "safe", should he give up and remove the whole thing?

Check the laws in your area, and decide for yourself what you want to do. Hopefully you'll find some way to childproof this. :(

JetService

AC Members
Jun 28, 2004
Visit site
aquariumguy, I understand what you're saying. Thanks.

BTW, update on the leak; I left both ponds full overnight with no pump running and both held their water so the leak appears to be in the water-line from the pump to the first waterfall, the filter (right in the halfway point of that line), or the stream. I really hope its the line or filter. That would be easy to fix.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Ponds with small children

1. criminal law, in most places if a child died in your pond and you had met the minimum requirements (say fencing, depth of the pond, etc), you will not be charged with anything.

2. civil law, if you meet the minimum requirements and a child does drown in your pool, you are liable and can be sued. To compensate for this, check with your homeowners insurance and make sure they will cover you with that pond. Then if someone does sue you over the pond, you are at least covered up to a certain amount.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Ok, here is my 2 cents worth. :)
I remember recently going to the local arboretum and noticed there water was black. I asked one of the keepers why was this so. The response was that if the water was black it would prevent small children from wanting to go into the water for fear of the waters depth. I guess this method has been used at many local gardens to prevent such a tragedy. If I remember correctly, the dye was made from beet and other plant material that would not harm any fish. If you wanted to try this method, you could probably do a search on this.

jim

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I guess I just take for granted the fact that my property (and driveway) is fenced and gated in so no small children (or adults for that matter) could get in w/o me knowing.

Definitely check with local laws… it is very different depending on where you live.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store