Small surface fish suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
I need some suggestions for a surface dwelling community fish.

I have a 29 gal tank with

SAE
CPD
Corydoras habrosus
Dario Dario
Spotted Rasbora

I want something that is small so I can have a nice size group of them. I don't want any livebearers though. Endlers will quickly over run my tank. I'm not sure what to get at this point.

Thanks

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
small killifish? hatchetfish (not sure how big these get just always see them tiny at the store and never looked into)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
clown killifish are surface fish..no other killifish that stays small really stays at the surface. clown killifish would work good if you have a covered tank they love to jump.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
look at the fish you would consider while at the petstore. Check the placement of the mouth of the fish. Most surface fish have the mouth at the tip of the head, such as guppies, most mids have theirs in the middle of the head (or face) such as barbs and tetras, most bottom dwellers mouths are at the bottom of the head or face such as cories.

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
clown killifish are surface fish..no other killifish that stays small really stays at the surface. clown killifish would work good if you have a covered tank they love to jump.
Awesome thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

look at the fish you would consider while at the petstore. Check the placement of the mouth of the fish. Most surface fish have the mouth at the tip of the head, such as guppies, most mids have theirs in the middle of the head (or face) such as barbs and tetras, most bottom dwellers mouths are at the bottom of the head or face such as cories.
I know I'm being a little vain, but I want to try something a little more unique. Something I couldn't get at the pet store. I have tried most of the guppies and tetras from my pet store but ever since I tried a little more uncommon fish, I really like it now. For example I really love schooling bumble bee fish but I haven't seen that being offered since 07-08.

I was thinking more along the lines of rainbows but they don't really school well together. Preferably something shrimp safe. I am considering putting in CRS in there as well. *shrugs* maybe I will eventually have to bite the bullet and get a school of hatchets.

Gill Roy

"Up to my neck"
Nov 6, 2007
New Port Richey, FL.
Look into some of the tetras. They are a schooling fish, stay in the upper most 3rd of the wc, don't get very big and can be very colorful addtion.

my .02

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
How about emerald eye rasboras? I got six a month or two ago. They stick really close to the surface and do school fairly well. Actually they school better than any schooling fish I have ever had. I have them in a 55 gal. They never mess with my shrimp. They are mostly silver fish, with a dark spot on their dorsal fin and neat light blue eyes. Not sure why they are called "emerald eyed" as mine sure seem blue...

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store