Smallest Acceptable Betta Home?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Actually, I prefer keeping mine in larger tanks, such as my 20 and 30 gallon tanks. I don't understand the feeling that these guys like to be kept in a small container. I do have a female and a male both in seperate 2.5 planted tanks and they are both doing fantastic but I do regular water changes. But I prefer seeing them in the larger tanks.
I plan to work on my 55 plant tank and turn it into an asian tank, and plan to keep a betta in there as well.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i've heard that the best indicator of a healthy fish is having one that will breed under the conditions it is kept in. tiny bowls are NOT breeding conditions.

and yes, i know that certain fish are almost impossible or completely impossible to breed, and that some of them need changes with their water to mimic natural conditions such as a flood season. however, if you met those conditions and the fish could breed, then you know you're doing it right and that you have healthy, well-cared-for fish.

and while they do naturally live in "muddy" rice paddies, there is also good irrigation in those systems, warm temps, plant and bacterial filtration, and plenty of fresh live food. is the water less than clear because of dirt particles making it cloudy? yes. it is full of ammonia and other wastes that the fish are forced to stay in? no.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
it would really be funny and sad if a new rap/gangsta/bling style involved putting bettas in tiny glass spheres and wearing them as necklaces. maybe with loose diamonds as a substrate. . .

i have no idea where that came from, but i hope you enjoy the mental image.

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
wataugachicken said:
it would really be funny and sad if a new rap/gangsta/bling style involved putting bettas in tiny glass spheres and wearing them as necklaces. maybe with loose diamonds as a substrate. . .

Not really...
anyone see that episode of "Pimp my ride" where they put a 1 quart goldfish bowl in the backseat (including 2-3 goldfish) ? Back then i wasnt into fish yet but when i got into the hobby i remembered that and cringed.
I think those cars usually come from the west coast.... how hot do you think the little bowl might get when the car is parked in the sun ? 120-130 ? Thats about twice the temp goldfish like....
[/RANT] :duh:

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
Hannys_Papa said:
Not really...
anyone see that episode of "Pimp my ride" where they put a 1 quart goldfish bowl in the backseat (including 2-3 goldfish) ? Back then i wasnt into fish yet but when i got into the hobby i remembered that and cringed.
I think those cars usually come from the west coast.... how hot do you think the little bowl might get when the car is parked in the sun ? 120-130 ? Thats about twice the temp goldfish like....
[/RANT] :duh:
Yes, I saw that episode. That was just plain stupid. Actually I think they sealed the tank shut completely so the water wouldn't slosh around and spill. They even put on an automatic feeder. Because it's important to throw food in with your boiled goldfish.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
mvigor said:
Personally, I see no problem with a 1 gallon tank, but if you use the light you'll get brown algea enough to completely cover the inside of the tank almost every day. It's a pain to clean and will be a complete headache. I guess if you don't want a light you'd be alright.

Hmmm..I have a few betta in one gallons with lights on all the time in the winter...turn them off at night during the summer. I do 2-50% water changes a week and once a month a 100% WC and gravel rinse/wipe down....my tanks are fine... :huh:

randalizm

HxC
Apr 14, 2005
orange county, CA
wataugachicken said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats great. im gonna do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store