Smart, Evil Little Mantis Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by as40
I'll post as there are updates. Wish me luck. And if I do manage to catch him, does anybody want him, or should I make him into a meal for his oppressed hermit crab neighbors? :D
I would go for the last option.:D

I couldn't find the link for the DIY trap, but it went something like this.

1. They took an empty plastic coke bottle and cut it in half about 1/3 of the way down.

2.They then took the top and turned it upside down and slid it into the top of the bottle. I'm not sure how they secured it in there.

3. They placed the bait in the inside of the trap and sank it to the bottom on it's side.

Maybe this will help,
Dave

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
:D Well, I think a spear gun is a little out of the question... As for the slurp guns, that's not a bad idea, however, they're kind of expensive and I think they wouldn't fit into the tank at the angles I'd need to use them at... They look kind of big and unweildy.

But oh happy day! :dance

I don't need either of those anymore!

Today, the first time for a long while, guess what I saw when I fed my fish? The beast looked even bigger than before, and it seemed to have lost a bit of its fear of me. But more importantly, by showing itself, it revealed to me where its new lair was! I watched it crawl back inside of its cave, then snatched up the rock it was in. I didn't see it move, but evidently it had passed through that rock (by a series of burrows) to another rock next to the one I had yanked. It then looked outside of the second rock, seemed a bit confused, before I yanked that rock out also. No more waiting around or fiddling with traps. It was only a matter of minutes before Mr. Mantis was at the bottom of a plastic bucket. :D

Putting the rockwork back together took a considerable amount of time longer. But that's okay. Hopefully there will be peace in my tank now.

I currently have Mr. Mantis in a thick glass goldfish bowl with a rock (sitting safely in a sink in case he decides he doesn't like his new home) until I decide what to do with him.

Thanks all for the suggestions/support! I'll let you all know what becomes of Mr. Mantis once a verdict is reached. ;)

Nickeleye

AC Members
Apr 13, 2004
Visit site
Congrats Alex. Suprised you didn't call me to tell me...haha. Well, now that you've got yours we just need to determine if I've got one. I've been hearing a lot of popping lately and I'm not completely convinced it's the pistol. I may be wrong, but I think near one of the rocks I noticed somewhat of a deposit of smaller nassarius snails and scarlet hermit legs as well as some porcelan crab claws. I can tell the crab legs and claws were definitely NOT from molts.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by as40
......I currently have Mr. Mantis in a thick glass goldfish bowl with a rock (sitting safely in a sink in case he decides he doesn't like his new home) until I decide what to do with him.

Thanks all for the suggestions/support! I'll let you all know what becomes of Mr. Mantis once a verdict is reached. ;)
Congrats!!!! Glad to hear you finally got him. So any ideas what the verdict is going to be?:p

Dave

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Glad the little bugger's out.

You might put together a little nano for him. They are very cool little beasts. A 10 gallon, small aquaclear and a little live rock would make a nice display.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store