snail advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msp75

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I would like to get a snail for my 5g tank. Because it's so small, I am worried about having hundreds of snails eventually. I know if I don't overfeed there is less of a chance of that, but I still would prefer something that's not going to reproduce like crazy. The only snail I've seen that doesn't do that is the olive nerite snail, and I can't find anywhere to buy it except one place online that has a minimum purchase requirement of 12. I've had "mystery" snails before that never reproduced - would that be a good option, or would it be too big for the 5g tank?

I have had aquariums all my life but I was operating on some bad, bad LFS advice (like "don't ever vacuum the gravel, there is no need for that!"). I'm trying to do better now, and I appreciate any advice!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Mysteries would work, but they do get big. Do you plan to have plants?
If not plants, Mysteries, apples, and columbian ramshorns all take two to tango. I am pretty sure ivory snails do as well. there are several options, but all are big members of the apple snail family, and some will get softball size. Mysteries are the only member of that family that won't eat plants, and they are really hard to identify positively so you may get something you didn't really want. As far as small snails, most of what I'm familiar with will reproduce quite effectively, but should be contralloable especially in a 5g. That's still your call though. Nerites would have been my frst suggestion honestly, but a minimum of 12 is a problem if you don't have anywhere to put them. See if you can find someone else in your area to share them with.
The following link usually has several varieties of snails, I have not actually purchased anything from them, and make no promises about anything but they do offer some options.

http://aquariumstuffers.com/products/list.cfm?CategoryID=65

HTH
Dave

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Just an added note, the "Ramshorn" snail they show I am fairly certain is a columbian, it is definately not the plant friendly ramshorn that I own. Columbian ramshorns are a flattened out member of the apple snail family, and make a fine lawn mower in a planted tank.
dave

msp75

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I have a bushy wisteria and an anubias (looks like frazeri, not sure) in the tank. I'm going to check out that link now - thanks!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store