Snail / shrimp faceoff

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the_intricacy

vertebrae
Oct 15, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just out of curiosity... 5.5 Ga with snowball shrimp and betta? Doesn't the betta munch away at your shrimp pop? I never tried housing neocardinia with my first betta (who was agro to other fish, but cool with the amanos) but my 2nd betta cheerfully cornered and then tore into the first cherry shrimp i ever owned. I now keep a seperate shrimp tank, but part of me wonders if it was the size of the shrimp that made him attack, or the red?

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
The first time that I added shrimp to the tank, they all disappeared and I thought that they'd been eaten. The one day, I saw one sneaking out from a hole in the wood. Now, they're out all the time and the beta doesn't even notice them. He was once resting on the ground and a shrimp walked right over him!!! They're pals now :)

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
snails and shrimp

I have found out the hard way about snails like this and shrimp in tanks together.First my sister tell me her snail was eating here shrimp she was watching and saw it they were on the floor of the tank and the shrimp and snail was eating and the snail just slid his foot over the live shrimp trapping him .Then he burred in the gravel so she left him to so if he did kill it and after 10 or 20 mins she took the net and tapped the snail he did not close up so she waited a few more mins and tryed again. after several tappes he closed and piece of shrimp came out from his shell.I had a tank of snowballs abot 30 and i added 6 adults snails and i kept thing it looks like my shrimp or dying or something but i never found any dead then on day as i was doing w/c i only saw like 10. so then i started thinging something was up...all of this was before it happen to her.so i moved them for my tanks with shrimps .but i had 3 baby snails that i left i went in to my spare room tonight and what do i see that the baby snails are starting to eat the shrimp my yellow one. he had one down and it was to far gone . so i moved them to a snail only tank..so just to let u know to be on the watch out for this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store