Snails devoured my Pulsing Xenia's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FloridaFishFan

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Lakeland, Florida
Almost immediately after acclimation I put a live rock with about 10 Xenias
into my tank. I noticed the snails checking it out and the next time I looked
the Xenia's were almost gone. Today the rock looks like it never had anything on it. What did I do wrong? I am devastated as I really looked a long time before I found this established group.

Tasty Burger

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
Theresa, NY
Welcome to the club of "Can't Keep Xenia To Save My Life"

I've tried three times, and my tank is over 4 years old now..Some people can't keep em, and others can't get rid of them. They melted; that's what happened!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How did you acclmate them? IME Xenia do not like ultra clean water.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
How did you acclmate them? IME Xenia do not like ultra clean water.
They did fine in my extremely clean reef tank. But I also had LPS so I was neurotically dosing and monitoring all of my trace elements, calcium, iodine, etc.
I also had a 4ft 4x130 watt Orbit CF strip on my 90g, and they seemed to like all the light. It made them grow like crazy.

FloridaFishFan, I've never seen snails eat xenia. I think they probably just melted. But don't give up, because I've actually seen them melt to visibly nothing and then start growing again.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
i too would buy some snails haha, they dont always transfer tanks well, give it a while and try again, but my suggestion is not to keep xenia because it will overgrow everything.
my tank is pretty clean and they are doing great, im surrounding them with favias and acans to keep them at bay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store