Snails eat corpses?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
I've have not seen my male guppy in the tank for days (and i took out all the stuff and looked inside my plastic log), but I can't find a corpse. I have 3 large apple snails and quite a few unidentified smaller snails. Is it possible that they ate the corpse of the guppy?

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
- often...I'm sure he is thinking about that;)

And yes, snails will eat corpses. I just saw a post about this somewhere yesterday. Snails are nature's garbage bin;)

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
OftenDig, I am worried about the cause, but I am fairly certain it's because the stock the guppies came from was pretty weak. I originally bought 3 guppies, and 2 died within the first week. None ofd my other fish show any symptoms of any kind.

Also, I have not ruled out escape as a cause of death, it's just unlikely.

Last edited:

fishfrenze

Flower Girl @}---'---
Jul 29, 2003
New Hampshire
Visit site
The other day my large apple snail ate a quarter-sized angel fish corpse in less than 8 hours with NO evidence what-so-ever left behind! I left for work and the angel was alive...came home and it was dead and almost competely gone. The snail had it clasped in its foot...it was almost undetectable except when the snail reached down with his mouth to take a bite :p I didn't even see any bones left in the end! Gross, but unfortunately snails are amazingly fast when it comes to eating...

Melanie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store