Snails getting bad

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
I have tried about everything. I am sure this has been brought up many times. I know these invading little suckers came with my plants sometime ago. I have heard about certain types of snails eat others does anyone know if there is any type snail that eats others? I thought about yo yo loaches maybe three for a short period of time but they would conflict with my three discus and one Farlowella. Plus two of them are mates and lay eggs often. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. It is a 55 gallon tank.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
You are looking for assassin snails and we have a few people here that sell them from time to time. Check our classifieds. I would try to cut back on the amount of food you give the tank and/ or vacuum your substrate about 30 minutes or so after feeding time to remove any food the fish have not eaten. This should cut down on the amount of snails in your tank.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
^^^ I agree

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Assassin Snails the whole story and then some. I personally love the buggers and have quite a few wandering around in different tanks. I like them so much I have tanks that are dedicated to growing pest snails for lunch for the assassins.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Snail populations are, to a degree, self regulating. If their food supply is reduced the snail population will decline over a bit of time. Rather than go the chemical or snail assasin route, simply maintain a very clean tank. The food supply will decrease as will their numbers. It will also be a healthier tank for all the other inhabutants. A good vaccuuming, several partial water changes, and less feeding should do the trick.

Charlie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store