snakehead fish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

White Knight

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
PumaWard said:
Yeah, they are illegal in some states in the US. Make sure they are legal where you live.... fines can be quite hefty.
This may be a stupid question, but how would anyone ever know if it's in your house? Even if you have a "friend" over and he rats you out to the police, they are extremely unlikely to raid the house.

ZakaSPFC

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
they have to kill all the fish in flushing meadows corona park because they are overrun by snakeheads

Nov 15, 2004
bluewillow said:
hiya peeps,

just wondering were i can find out more about snakehead fish ,i already have two a african and a chinies one. i know these are predtory fish so not a prob.

they eat live food right now and bllodworm blocks.

so anymore info would be great,tar.. :read:

Piranha fury snakehead forum....You'll have to join but well worth it...just for snakeheads...with some pretty good info\stickies.

*****Not for the squeemish*****
8" Cat eaten by two 11" SH's Video

I'd post some info but its best just to join and look up the info they have there.

Nov 15, 2004
White Knight said:
This may be a stupid question, but how would anyone ever know if it's in your house? Even if you have a "friend" over and he rats you out to the police, they are extremely unlikely to raid the house.

That is a very stupid question, shame on you.....

:D JK man, its a legit problem though. Well, in illegal states you have neighbors, upset family members, parol officers, even some intellegant police. Doesn't take much for a jealous\angry one of those people to hear the word snakehead and google it. After that, a short call to F&W..your fish get confiscated and you get fined...300 a piece for piranhas, last I checked...but not sure if its higher for snakeheads...

tundradoug

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2005
I think the Snakehead fish may be illegal to bring into the US. Customs will not let live Snakeheads in and the Snakehead (especially the Chinese), are on the US Fish & Wildlife list of fish not to be brought into the US. It all started about 3 years ago in MD. When two were introduced in a small pond in MD. After about 2 year, US Fish and Wildlife poisioned the Lake and killed 60 Snakeheads, but they spread rapidly throughout the east coast. Dozens of lakes were poisioned to kill the fish. They never really got them under control. But, US F&G put them on their list and many states passed laws.

They are a mence even here in Thailand.

TheDeerslayer

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
Austin, Texas
Lepisosteus- To say that snakeheads cause no more damage than carp is to say that this small nuclear weapon will cause no more damage than this large nuke. Common Carp have devastated many river & lake ecosystems nationwide. In Texas, there are many rivers where it is hard to find any other fish species besides carp.

Carp don't have the ability to flop from one body of water to another as some snakeheads do. Snakeheads are much more predatory than carp, and their impact on North American aquatic habitat is completely unpredictable as thus far snakehead incidents have been localized.

Until fish & game departments nationwide begin carp eradication programs the only thing we can do is prevent introduction of other invasive species.

Regarding the introduction of basses and catfishes to the US West of the Rockies. The incompetence of state fish & game depts outside Texas is not my problem.

TheDeerslayer

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
Austin, Texas
Texas law:

" It is illegal in this state to release into public waters, import, sell, purchase, transport, propagate, or possess any living snakehead, except under special permits issued by TPWD. Dead snakeheads (intestines removed) may be legally imported and sold."

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
As a teen I had a red snakehead that killed three large cats the same way but they were supposed to be tankmates not food. He ate an albino channel, and two shovelnoses. Each were about 8" long and he left the heads like in the video. I never witnessed the attack though I did see him eat 22 goldfish in about 10 minutes.
Now that i know more about proper housekeeping / maintenance can't imagine the water changes a fish like that would require. Install an overflow and leave the tap running I guess.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
musky48in said:
Here is one more thing. They are illegal in some states. Check it out....
they are illegal in ALL of the US. were do you live??? If you live in US hide them behind a looked door and secret

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store