Snowflake eel lfs treatment question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psychoticpengwn

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Thats what I was thinking at first but the tanks are relatively small maybe the size of a 10 gallon if that and the other two fish in the tank are larger than he is so I wouldn't think he would bother them I do know that eels are jumpers but the top of the tank is closed well and can only be opened by pushing in from the front ill ask them there reason for doing this the lady checking me out wasn't friendly and didn't seem to give a dam and I was in a rush to get home so i didn't bother to fight with her. I think that they could have done a little better though than a hamster ball the eel looked miserable in the thing.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
My store keeps them in critter keepers within larger tanks, they only do it for the small ones, and I was talking to one of the employees and he said they had to do it because their tanks didn't have escape proof lids and they didn't want the eels jumping out and hurting themselves.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Might be that they saw it done somewhere else, or read it somewhere but didn't get the reasons why they should do it and just did it anyway.

A worker at my LFS told me how they got a medium sized eel in once, the eel manged to escape from its tank, with lids, into the one next to it, with lids, and preceded to eat all the clownfish in there. Very crafty creatures.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, escaping is likely the main issue involved, with eating problems second. It also eases capture. It is a fairly legitimate thing as far as containing them goes, since it is temporary. At the LFS I used to work at, we'd keep them in the larger "Critter Keepers" that had various holes, etc. with a cave to hide in. It made catching the eels easier and it provided for their own protection, since all the tanks were open-top.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store