So he wants a piranha

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

josh

wassup in the hood
Dec 2, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
www.umich.edu
I've got an empty 29 gallong fish tank full of water and a few plants (being filtered of course). One of my roomates wants to put piranhas in it.

What do you guys think about them? Are they interesting aquarium subjects, or are they just novel becuase they eat stuff like crazy?

Would a fish store take them back once we have to move out?

is there any chance they would co-exist with other animals? How about with plants, do they eat plants too?

Thanks Y'all
-Josh

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Josh,
I am not a big fan of piranhas, and I have a feeling that your roommates may not be once they realize all the care and vigilance required to keep them. You could probably fit one in a 29g tank, and, if you grow a healthy specimen, there is almost always a good market for it, so you can be almost assured that your lfs would buy it back when you need to move.
Piranhas are group-oriented fish, though, and solitary specimens are not well-recommended. They are interesting, but I think for the reason upon which you have hit, and that is because of their eating habits. I have read in some books that you have to starve them to gain the feeding frenzy behaviour.
By group-oriented, I mean piranhas of their same type. They are known to even cannibalize their own if not fed well enough, and a hungry piranha with tankmates is dangerous to all those involved. Plus, if you use feeders, no tankmate is safe, because it may be seen as consumable by extension. Best of luck with finding an inhabitant for the tank, but you may want to consider something else.

~Matthew

wetmanNY

AC Members
Your roommates may be disappointed to hear that owning piranhas is actually perfectly legal in Michigan. So you lose points there...

I'm just afriad you'll wind up with the "Piranha Look-Alike" -- the Pacu.

You can get the same violence, but scale it down.

First hatch some brine shrimp. Raise them to maturity. Watch them through the magnifying glass. Give them all names: Wilma, Gladys, Brett, Emily, D'Shawn...

...then throw them to the Neon Tetras!

Last edited:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
pretty much tho my uncle used to keep piranahas and they are kinda weak, you wont be very pleased just ask mojo .www.aquamojo.com , if u keep only 1 he will be very boring to you they are only insanely aggressive with a large pack o them you would be better off with a copule of convicts of something

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I wouldn't try piranah in 29 gallons. They get a little large, and just like their cousins (silver dollars, hatchets, bala sharks) get really skittish in small spaces, and tend to jump. They also like to be kept in numbers rather than as single fish.

If a piranah is well-fed, it's a little boring, to tell the truth. They only have a mean streak if they are hungry or they feel their territory is being threatened. This "territory" thing could reasonably separate you from a fingernail while doing tank maintainence if you keep them in a small tank... You'll save a lot of money and heartache by having something a little more placid that looks similar, like a silver dollar. They have a very similar look to a piranah, minus the toothy grin, and they dart about a little more than a piranah does, making them a lot more fun to watch during feeding times. Plus, silver dollars grow a little slower, so you'd be able to keep them longer before they outgrow the tank.

Just my 2 cents.

josh

wassup in the hood
Dec 2, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
www.umich.edu
sounds like good advice

what ya'll are saying sounds right. I'd actually rather have something a little more outrageous that will be smarter and less dangerous. I'm not all about keeping a school of them cos the food bill's gonna get pricey. Plus I like my fingernails to be on my fingers so sounds like I'm not going to be the one gettin in on that deal.

I've kept oscars before and they are money when young! It was funny though cos one day I came back from class, and there was only one left with any scales on it. I guess they couldn't stand eachother any more. I don't even think it was out of hunger. Funny thing was that the lone oscar lived happily with a goldfish and blackskirt tetra for a long time after that.
(here he is - http://www.msu.edu/~hulljosh/oscar.jpg )

Anyone have any ideas for a fish to suggest as a fun inhabitant to the aquarium? something smart that will catch people's attention and swim around?

thanks people! Adios
-Josh

corvettekid82

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Deland FL
Visit site
I've got a 'stink-pot' turtle in my 25gal (long) tank. He's a blast and a great topic of conversation. Best of all.. he'll chase your finger around the tank, chomping at it through the glass. You want carnage? Toss in a big juicy earth worm and watch the damage :) I'm a total naturalist when it comes to tank decor.. but I had to toss in a ceramic for that tank: "Beware of JAWS!" sign. That's his aptly appointed nickname.

Oh, BTW.. I'm new here so

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store