So I went to my LFS...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I think a good place to start is to think about the particular fish, corals, and other invertebrates you want in the tank. For example, if you really want certain fish in your tank and that's a big motivation for setting up a sw tank, start your planning around that fish or those few fish, as the types of fish you can put in a tank like a 75g or a 90g aren't necessarily the same as ones you could put in a somewhat larger tank. From there, you can work out equipment and such, building your system around what you plan to have in it, instead of trying to fit livestock you like into a system that may not have been planned out quite as well.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I think a good place to start is to think about the particular fish, corals, and other invertebrates you want in the tank. For example, if you really want certain fish in your tank and that's a big motivation for setting up a sw tank, start your planning around that fish or those few fish, as the types of fish you can put in a tank like a 75g or a 90g aren't necessarily the same as ones you could put in a somewhat larger tank. From there, you can work out equipment and such, building your system around what you plan to have in it, instead of trying to fit livestock you like into a system that may not have been planned out quite as well.
+1

If planning to eventually turn it into a full reef, might as well start by researching fish so you avoid those that are not reef safe.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
Awesome advice, yall.

The only fish I definitely want is a common clownfish (They are reef safe, right?). The others should be small and very brightly colored. That's about as far as I have gotten.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
spent some time drooling on liveaquaria.com and here's what I figure for stocking:

2 occelaris clown
1 royal gramma
2 azure damselfish
1 six-line wrasse
1 purple firefish
1 yellow prawn goby
2 neon blue goby
1 orchid dottyback

that's about 36 fi, which should work in a 90 gal plus sump. I need ideas for inverts (again colorful) I thinking at least a scarlet cleaner shrimp.

If any yall have ideas for changing the stocking list, please say so.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If you must do damsel's those I would add last. You'll want to cover the tank as well, I've lost firefish from jumping.

Maybe add some sexy shrimp, pompom crab, fancy colored serpent star. Of course you'll want some snails too for your CUC maybe some hermits.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
I think it said in the invert section here that Sexy Shrimp don't work well in a reef... Consensus change or what?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've never had problems with them in a reef setup, I suppose if they're not fed they may find stuff to munch on, thats true with many other reef inhabitants as well though.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
Now that I've had a chance to look at the suggestions I have a couple noob questions about them... liveaquaria says that the sepent star gets to be 14"... most of the fish I picked out are in the 2-4" range. Any danger for them and would the star completely dominate the tank? Any suggestions on snail species?

Also, the pompom crab just looks cool! That's going on the list.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Most of the time serpents don't seem to be to bothersome, its possible to get a rogue one. They can take some time to grow too and depending where you buy from the ones you get may still be pretty small.

Snails Turbos, Cerith's, Nassarius, some various nerites are pretty nice looking.

One thing about the pompom's if your starting the tank with some live rock instead of all dry rock make sure you don't have or eradicated any aiptaisia, otherwise if you get a pompom missing one of his pompoms you might find him running around clutching aiptasia in his hand.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
Looking it up, peppermint shrimp would eat the aiptasia (jic), and they are generally reef safe... any special considerations for them I need to be aware of?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store