So im trying a hybrid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Got any links or actual info of guppy/gambusia crosses? Just curious about it. I keep both, not together, but I do keep both. The gambusia are definitely more aggressive and larger, although I've had some female guppies in the past that are nearly as large bodied.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Got any links or actual info of guppy/gambusia crosses? Just curious about it. I keep both, not together, but I do keep both. The gambusia are definitely more aggressive and larger, although I've had some female guppies in the past that are nearly as large bodied.
Tried to find the original information I had on it but seem to have lost the links. :irked: Guess I'll change my statement to they may be able to breed. It seems to be in debate on how closely related they are (same family different genus, so technically they shouldn't be able too but they may be one of the many exceptions).

There are plenty of online forums where people claim success, but I'll be the first to admit that isn't really evidence since anyone can say anything online. Plus the fact that not everyone can tell a large female Guppy from a female Mosquito Fish, who knows. I'll have to watch female guppies closely for babies, since my male black & white Mosquito Fish tried to breed with both of them the other day.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
imagine, giant red and blue guppies that can survive in almost any water conditions... I can see why you would want them, I definitely wouldn't say no to 3in fancy guppies. And if aggression is an issue, hello, Betta much?
my old breeder females were fancy and reached 3 inches....and would pop out over 100 fry per drop. (they have sens passed to old age:()

so normal healthy guppies..if they live long enough can get that big

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I can't find any evidence of guppies hybridizing with gambusia. I have looked for some time, but it seems that they are too unrelated to mate. On top of that, gambusia tend to rip guppies apart faster than you would believe possible.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
my old breeder females were fancy and reached 3 inches....and would pop out over 100 fry per drop. (they have sens passed to old age:()

so normal healthy guppies..if they live long enough can get that big
Yes, but can you imagine 3in male fancy guppies with tail fins a solid inch long besides? Now make them electric blue, neon green, fire red, meldings of those colors... oooh, I get shivers just imagining it!

I can't find any evidence of guppies hybridizing with gambusia. I have looked for some time, but it seems that they are too unrelated to mate. On top of that, gambusia tend to rip guppies apart faster than you would believe possible.
Well, I think it would be worth a shot... and I have a somewhat less aggressive female gambusia to try it out with...

I now have a new summer project... 20gal tank... 1 female gambusia, 3-4 males guppies.... if that doesn't do it, nothing will... guppies to will be moved to 30gal community tank when done with gambusia female... •grins• maybe I'll end up with nothin, maybe I'll end up with giant colorless guppies, maybe I'll end up with giant colored guppies, don't matter. I'll figure out what happens. First though: make enough money to buy and set up another tank.... :)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I don't know what kind of gambusia you guys have but the ones around here are pretty much the same size as guppies. The makes are bigger, but the females are only marginally larger.

If you wanted to use hybridization (a moral can o worms in itself) to achieve larger fish then why not go with a proven pairing, like molly/guppy

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I don't know what kind of gambusia you guys have but the ones around here are pretty much the same size as guppies. The makes are bigger, but the females are only marginally larger.

If you wanted to use hybridization (a moral can o worms in itself) to achieve larger fish then why not go with a proven pairing, like molly/guppy
hm... mollies and guppies... well, I do have 3 female mollies (1 black, 1 marble, 1 green) just sittin' around in one of my tanks... would be something to try, the 3 mollies, 1 gambusia, and a few male guppies... Well, I really do have a summer project to try out. And hey, if I get awesome fish I can try to get a whole new breed maybe...

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

hm... mollies and guppies... well, I do have 3 female mollies (1 black, 1 marble, 1 green) just sittin' around in one of my tanks... would be something to try, the 3 mollies, 1 gambusia, and a few male guppies... Well, I really do have a summer project to try out. And hey, if I get awesome fish I can try to get a whole new breed maybe...

redbullbill

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
berks, pa

Sorry i don't mean to hijack or anything ,but can a gupopy and mollie mate?The reason i ask is my father inlaw ha bot in his tank for a couple years and there is babies popping out all the time.However there are a few fry that as they get older are a color never really seen in mollies, and the tails look like a female guppy,They are as big as a molly and there eyes are black like all his mollies are and there dorsal fin also looks like a molly. But we can't tell what they are.They look like both but i didn't think the two could or would mate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store