so, is this a dumb thought

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
I was curious about setting up a tank (like a 20 gallon or so) out on the back porch for during the summer months. I thought it would be cool to have and a great conversation piece when having friends over for a BBQ (of course the tank would not be near the BBQ:)). I was thinking that the natural sunlight would be good for a few corals and fish. I know that if you have a tank set up near a window that the sunlight coming thru the glass can cause algae blooms but I think that is because some of the light spectrum is washed out from the glass? My wife just gives me "that look" and I just tell her "it's just a little Robism". Thoughts please.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The sunlight doesn't fuel algae blooms. Nutrients do. Get those under control and intense light will not be a problem. That make natural-lighted tanks a reality (and you'll find a lot of them, surprisingly). I would advise against one being outside, though, unless you have adequate cooling mechanisms in place and can protect the tank and all equipment from the weather.

FinFanatic

AC Members
Feb 26, 2010
Livermore, CA
You would probably have to protect the tank from critters as well! Cats, racoons, possums, etc.
But if you account for that, and the things, Amp brought up, I don't see why it can't be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store