So What Happened to AC?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Walrus

Beatles fanatic
Jan 4, 2002
Missouri
Reefscape said:
Cory,
They are actually quite elite in what they do. Most hackers have a very good knolledge on computers and computer languages that will make most programers look like they just got out of kindergarten. I have a very high respect for what they know.
I agree with Dale on the statements above. I've worked side-by-side with some former hackers who do penetration testing on corporate networks. I've re-written many lines of code because of the testing they have done. Most hackers have good intentions when they hack, most notify the company/individual and let them know of the vulnerbility. On the other hand you have a growing number of hackers who have the opposite intentions and make the others look bad.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Yeah, true Hackers have great knowledge of computers. And many of them are intelligent. But an obsessed person of any subject will know a great deal about that given subject. A person with an IQ of 80 that is obsessed about a subject will be able to tell in great detail about their obsession.

The thing that grabs so many young, aspiring "hackers" is that in cyber land they can be whatever they want to be. Put your mind to it and you can beat anyone. Where as in real life, some people can do physical things they can never do no matter how much they try. You aren't athletic, but you understand how IIS works on a Windows webserver. So the next thing you know, an unathletic child is having granduers of Ghengis Khan run through his head as he exploits a hole in a program.

But what is even worse, are script kiddies. Who have not figured out anything on their own, merely reading what other individuals have figured out, finding a program that has not been patched, and following instructions on how to exploit it.

That is pathetic. And that is exactly what happened here.

Therefore, hoping to trick others into thinking they are intelligent or know a great deal, when all they did was read a list of instructions.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Hack roots website (if it is still around) was a single page that contained an email bomb script. Not too talented to do that and not very cool to have it hosted by tripod either.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
So someone was able to hack the board. Big deal. Hackers can be creative, brilliant folks who expose security holes. Or they can be vandals. Anyone that trashes someone else's board just for the fun of it is on no different footing than a twerp who goes around breaking windows in people's houses by throwing rocks. The level of skill required for a particular hack may (or may not) be considerable, but the ultimate goal -- hacking for the sake of hacking or hacking to destroy -- determines whether or not the hacker is a loser.

If someone did indeed hack AC just to trash it, I agree with AFG: the person is a loser. A bright loser perhaps, but a loser nonetheless.

Jim

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Anyone's intelligence or ability notwithstanding, what they do with their talents will reflect how we view them (and what they are).

Hackers being the people in question, I have nothing but the deepest respect for those who put their talents to use finding holes and reporting them (even for an appropriate fee, although I really don't know enough about it to comment), or those who work for anti-virus companies, or whatnot.

On the other hand, those who spend their time writing viruses designed to malign people at home, that attack University servaers, or those who shut down forums like AC where people come to share knowledge, for them I have nothing but disdain. They are no better than school yard bullies, but instead of being a big kid who likes to pick on smaller children, they've chosen to pick on those with less talent with computers than them. There's no difference, really.

If you apply your talent towards the betterment of society in general, well done. If you do nothing but damage or leach off of others, you're a loser. Your intelligence or ability are not the question.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
yeah, It's just one of those things I have never understood. I get that the internet is just another form of escapism, but some people become way too involved in who they are on line- I think watcher made a good point in saying that the appeal is that they can be whomever they choose. I think another side to that is that they dissociate from the people that they affect if they choose to be an internet thug. Like two years or so ago I got a virus- for whomever sent it it was tee hee funny- but to me it meant that I couldn't do one of my jobs for a week. Of course they had no idea, not that they likely would have cared.And like with this site- I'm sure they got some power rush out of knocking this site out for a few days but for what? It just resulted in a few days without a chat board and somebody had to do a little more work than they rightfully should have(the upgrade looks nice, but still).

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Because this is a fish forum, and because of how they went about doing this, I still stand by the notion that the person made his ‘attack’ personal. What else would he have to gain by attacking a fish forum, which is non profit?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store