Some Loach Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Originally posted by Sting
Hate to break it to you, but that is not a Yoyo Loach ;) Not that it makes much of a difference, but it seems to be of close resemblance, but not exactly a Yoyo. See, Yoyo's are called Yoyos because they actually say "yoyo" on their sides. Yours just has a big maze of squiggles LOL. I'm just saying that because they are my favorite fish, not because I want to burst your bubble. Don't worry, they are probably basically the same thing anyway, no worries :)
Ummm actually sting it is a yo-yo loach :D
I know why yo-yo's are called that - and yes, it does indeed say that on its side. Perhaps the pic doesn't reflect it well since he was somewhat on the move

kuhli

AC Members
re yoyo's?

Actually most yoyo's only say yoyo as juveniles, the older they get the more the pattern chnges.
...Kuhli

Originally posted by Sting
Hate to break it to you, but that is not a Yoyo Loach ;) Not that it makes much of a difference, but it seems to be of close resemblance, but not exactly a Yoyo. See, Yoyo's are called Yoyos because they actually say "yoyo" on their sides. Yours just has a big maze of squiggles LOL. I'm just saying that because they are my favorite fish, not because I want to burst your bubble. Don't worry, they are probably basically the same thing anyway, no worries :)

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Kuhili is Right. I have 2 of them 1 year old and already full grown. When young, they do say "YoYo". As adults, its alot harder to read. Hey, superstein, is your Yoyo Lazy during the day? or a little fat? The dominant Yoyo is slightly bigger and fatter ....

I also bought 3 Angelicas Botias. Super rare, so if you can your hands on them, buy it. I bought them at 14.95 each. I noticed throughout the Us and canada they can go
for 12.00-35.00 dollars each depending on the LFS.

Last edited:

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Jamison, my Yo-Yo is psychotic. He has taken over the coconut shell cave from some dwarf cichlids that had claimed it. He pretty much stays in there all day - a lot of the time lieing on his side, breathing heavily like he is ready to bite the big one. Then all of a sudden he'll dart out and start dashing all over the place - sometimes really pissing off some of my other fish because he will get right next to them and swim side by side, basically touching, whever they go.

He is a holdover from a smaller tank - and not sure if he doesn't feel comfortable in the new, bigger one or what - plus he is the biggest fish in there.

I have actually thought about getting rid of him if I could find a good home for him - since he causes such an uproar in the tank, not to mention uprooting a few of my plants a day with his mad dashes.

As far as the Angelicas Botias, I saw your other thread - they seem pretty cool looking fish. Doubt any of my LFS have them though. Do you know what size they grow to and the temp. they prefer? I do plan to check around for some.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Angelicus- Not much is known about them. I think they grow 4-5 inches though. As for the water requirements...I dont know? They are from a river in thailand and would problably require the same ph as other loaches from that area. Mine are doing fine in Ph 6.5 Temp 78.I will research it later....

YoYo- Dont get rid of him! Its his personality! they are such nice fish! Mine dont seem to bother the other fish (actually ignores them). Do you only have one? They do like groups... Mine does chase the other yoyo once in a while...but that it. They are also not the biggest fish in the tank eithor....

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Yea, but he becomes more crazy by the day. I did have two of them, but this one always harassed the other - more than any other fish. When some bug hit my small tank, it wiped out the other yo-yo and a few other fish . I haven't gotten another yo-yo because I wouldn't be able to find one that large - and I believe he would torture any of the juvenile's I would put in

Mr. Gone

AC Members
Aug 24, 2005
why isn't there a species profile on yo-yos?

i'm not planning to get one anytime soon. but...well, i dream of someday having a heavily planted, long 100gal tank with about 6 of them, 2or4 opaline gouramies, and a BGK fish....ah........ to dream... :idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store