Some newbie questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nugetto

AC Members
Nov 30, 2016
Hi all, I have no prior knowledge of aquariums and so I am looking for some help. I am hoping to buy some plants for a tropical aquarium as a gift (Or other items maybe). I have to deliver them from here in England to a friend in Singapore. Sorry in advance if any of my questions seems very simple or are offending in any way.

First of all, do I buy grown plants or plant seeds? Or does this not matter?

I am looking to ship them so it will take a couple of days minimum I'm guessing. If I were to buy the plants themselves, would I be okay to box the plant and send it off when it has arrived here in England? Or can this damage the plant in any way?

I'm not looking for anything expensive at all, just a small present. As I have no prior knowledge and to get an idea of what to look for, what gifts would you love to receive for a tropical aquarium? Links would be helpful. I'm looking at something within the £20-30 range.

Thanks all in advance for your help. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are likely some restrictions on what you can legally send to Singapore that should be a higher concern.

That said...a gift card to a local shop would be way better. I know it seems less personal, but when dealing with live stock and plants, it is WAY more considerate. Sending someone something they might have no desire to have, or worse any way to keep alive, is not a nice gift.

Nugetto

AC Members
Nov 30, 2016
There are likely some restrictions on what you can legally send to Singapore that should be a higher concern.

That said...a gift card to a local shop would be way better. I know it seems less personal, but when dealing with live stock and plants, it is WAY more considerate. Sending someone something they might have no desire to have, or worse any way to keep alive, is not a nice gift.
I never thought about the legal side of things, a gift card would be quite good actually, thanks for the heads up.

Is there anything that isn't living that could be useful for a person who is into tropical aquariums? Decor etc?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's kind of like plants--without knowing what their tank look likes and their taste, it's hard to say. Most hardware is very specific, so something like filter media might not work for what they use. Hardscape like rocks and gravel or wood might work, but are difficult to ship and again, might not match. There are tons of decorations...but if someone has a natural looking tank, an aquarium ornament won't really be useful either.

I have lots of friends with fish tanks, and honestly, if I wanted to give them a present for their tank, of any sort, I'd either go for a gift card to a favorite shop, or take them shopping and foot the bill. It's the only way I'd feel confident that I was getting them something they really did want/could use. Heck, I wouldn't give my partner a surprise present for his tanks, and I live with him and help do the maintenance on our tanks.

Reactions: Nugetto

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I never thought about the legal side of things, a gift card would be quite good actually, thanks for the heads up.

Is there anything that isn't living that could be useful for a person who is into tropical aquariums? Decor etc?
A gift for an aquarium will be like most gifts, it really depends on the recipient.

If you don';t know what they are into, or what they use and what they have, a gift card would really be the best bet.

if you want something physical, you mentioned plants, have you considered a coffee table type book, for example one involving takashi amano or such?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Heck, I wouldn't give my partner a surprise present for his tanks, and I live with him and help do the maintenance on our tanks.
*Hint* Nothing would say "I love you" more than a small school of C. Hastatus ;)

Nugetto

AC Members
Nov 30, 2016
It's kind of like plants--without knowing what their tank look likes and their taste, it's hard to say. Most hardware is very specific, so something like filter media might not work for what they use. Hardscape like rocks and gravel or wood might work, but are difficult to ship and again, might not match. There are tons of decorations...but if someone has a natural looking tank, an aquarium ornament won't really be useful either.

I have lots of friends with fish tanks, and honestly, if I wanted to give them a present for their tank, of any sort, I'd either go for a gift card to a favorite shop, or take them shopping and foot the bill. It's the only way I'd feel confident that I was getting them something they really did want/could use. Heck, I wouldn't give my partner a surprise present for his tanks, and I live with him and help do the maintenance on our tanks.
Your reply has been very helpful! It's for secret santa so not like I know much about his tank or his area. I'll try get some of his favourite shops out of him without him knowing and see if I can order a gift card. Thanks for the help!

Nugetto

AC Members
Nov 30, 2016
A gift for an aquarium will be like most gifts, it really depends on the recipient.

If you don';t know what they are into, or what they use and what they have, a gift card would really be the best bet.

if you want something physical, you mentioned plants, have you considered a coffee table type book, for example one involving takashi amano or such?
I'm not sure what Takashi Amano is, I'm a super newbie, don't know anything, that's why I'm having a little trouble haha. I think I'm going to go with the gift card, though. Thanks!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not sure what Takashi Amano is, I'm a super newbie, don't know anything, that's why I'm having a little trouble haha. I think I'm going to go with the gift card, though. Thanks!
He's a famous photographer/aquarist, and he basically invented the 'nature aquarium' using plants and aquascaping etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Amano

As an example for a book suggestion

https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Aquar...?ie=UTF8&qid=1480540003&sr=8-4&keywords=amano

Nugetto

AC Members
Nov 30, 2016
He's a famous photographer/aquarist, and he basically invented the 'nature aquarium' using plants and aquascaping etc.

As an example for a book suggestion
Oh I understand, my apologies. I may consider something like this then. Thanks for the references!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store