Some of my Cardinal Shrimp (Caridina sp.)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Oh wow, very stunning!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Congrats! Very nice!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Congrats Bill! Good job!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
That's great news Desert! Sadly, as much blame as the hobby receives for threatening the Sulawesi shrimp, the biggest threats lay elsewhere...

"The human population is expanding rapidly in the area. Nickel mines cause a considerable amount of pollution in Danau Matano, and there is some disturbance from the hydro-electric power station. Many exotic fish species have been introduced in the lakes, and these introductions continue (four new species in recent years). The main threats to the endemic fishes are pollution of the lakes with organic effluents from the rapidly expanding human population, and the introduction of exotic fish species. There are plans to carry out logging in the forests around Danau Towuti."

http://www.arcbc.org.ph/wetlands/indonesia/idn_malili.htm

Unfortunately, there may come a time when the only place to see these beautiful creatures will be in hobbyist tanks.

southerndesert

Invert Obsessed
May 4, 2008
Arizona
www.arizonainverts.com
Yes and with the expansion of man it will continue in many places to many species... Sad, but in many countries (and here) feeding the people and construction will continue to outweigh environmental concerns as populations continue to explode. Not trying to get an off subject debate going, but thats what is going on. It has always been this way with our species and I have learned to accept that to avoid pulling all my hair out.

Cheers, Bill

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
:iagree: completely... It's too easy to forget how much of a luxury it really is to be able to concern yourself with the environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store