Some of my Planted Ripariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
i have a cool update, a bloom, from the 120 in the post above almost ready to go.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
well this shot is actually from my 55G all-crypts riparium. i spotted this open Cryptocoryne cordata flower just this morning.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
i got a few shots of the 120 again the other night. i came up with this FTS.

this picture is a montage, made with a combination of two shots at two different shutter speeds. i copied and pasted the underwater area from a shot with a slower shutter. somehow photographs of this tank always depict the foliage with more glare and the water with more shadow than in real life.

this quick shot shows the three species of fish in there. these are all F1 offspring of the wild fish that i collected in Mexico.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Nice tanks.

It's strange it has taken this long for someone to really build on the whole hydroculture tank idea. And until everybody gets into it, "riparium" is still a multi-section cascading aquarium to me.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I love your tanks. Especially interesting though, is the junction between the plants and the water. Would you be able to furnish pics from this in-between zone? How's that besseae doing?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks everybody. I am glad that I was finally able to go over and get this tank photo-ready. I hadn't been working on it much lately.

I love your tanks. Especially interesting though, is the junction between the plants and the water. Would you be able to furnish pics from this in-between zone? How's that besseae doing?
Thanks again. I could try to get some pictures of that area. I will try to remember next time I have the camera out.

That Phragmepedium is still doing OK, although I wouldn't say that it is thriving. I don't expect to see blooms unless I can get it to grow with more vigor. I have a couple of other orchids growing in other tanks too, a Spiranthes and a couple different varieties of Bletilla striata. The Spiranthes is actively growin and I hope that I might see flowers from it in a few months.

I recently posted some updates to my blog on specific plants in the 65 gallon South America tank. I paste some of those here, including observations on the besseae phrag.

Here is a shot through the top of the tank, with numbering for certain certain plants of interest.

1. Spiranthes cernua var. odorata This is a plant that I acquired some time ago. It seems to be doing well, with new leaf growth and healthy root development. Only the bottom 1/3 of the planter is below the water's surface. This is a wetland plant, but I decided to err on the side of giving the roots a somewhat more aerated environment. Water wicks up from the bottom of the planter, so the planter media is wet all of the time. I shot the picture below on the day that I acquired this plant. It is quite a bit larger now.

3. Phragmipedium 'St. Ouen' - This orchid plant has struggled, but it is growing slowly. The picture below shows new root development inside of its planter. Most Phragmipedium species grow in moist to wet habitats in nature, such as locations along waterfalls or mountain streams. However, I have found that this variety does not tolerate having its roots fully submerged in water. I originally situated this plant with most of its planter below water and as a consequence the roots began to rot. The media inside the planter is still quite wet, as water wicks from below, but I now have it hung such that only the bottom 1/2" of the planter is in the water.

8. Orontium aquaticum - This is an extremely cool plant that I acquired at the end of the winter. I had to cut away about 75% of its extensive root system to fit it in its planter. The whole plant declined and I thought at first that it would perish. However, it is a hardy plant and it slowly recovered. It has grown several new sets of leaves and many new roots. The leaves have a wonderful velvety texture and the flowers have a strange, exotic look. I hope that it will bloom for me someday in the display.

9. Echinodorus cordifolius - I have a couple of previous thread posts describing this plant. It is a winner. Here is an older shot of one its blooms.

10. Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen' - What a gorgeous plant! I understand that in immersed culture the white variegation on the leaves of 'Tropica Marble Queen' is much more subdued. Here it is well-defined, even though the plant is only receiving moderate light inside of the display.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store