Some pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have no idea of those "geo" like cichlids but I bet that big side dot helps ID them. The smaller fish's dot & head shape seems different. The 2 big fish seem different too, not just by sex although those ventral fin extensions impressive. I feel like we're playing "what 6 things are different in this picture" in the Sunday newspaper, lol.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I have no idea of those "geo" like cichlids but I bet that big side dot helps ID them. The smaller fish's dot & head shape seems different. The 2 big fish seem different too, not just by sex although those ventral fin extensions impressive. I feel like we're playing "what 6 things are different in this picture" in the Sunday newspaper, lol.
This might help:
https://www.gbif.org/species/119600283

Wait for the article to fully load then look at the diagram on the right side; makes it easy.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I should have known by your link. Sorry, I was comparing dot sizes & shapes.

Is the seller offering to "make it right"? Good 1s often will but it might involve a bunch of BS that may or may not be worth the hassles.

I know you often buy cool, rare fish & readily pay for them. But good sellers should step up for you & their reputations. I don't think I'd just "let it go". I expect to pay for fish I order & to get them, you should too.

What did the seller say?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I should have known by your link. Sorry, I was comparing dot sizes & shapes.

Is the seller offering to "make it right"? Good 1s often will but it might involve a bunch of BS that may or may not be worth the hassles.

I know you often buy cool, rare fish & readily pay for them. But good sellers should step up for you & their reputations. I don't think I'd just "let it go". I expect to pay for fish I order & to get them, you should too.

What did the seller say?
Didn't say the seller - won't name him; he imported them as a favor and didn't really understand how similar the fishes were. Talking to others it is a common problem that these species get mixed up on importation. He has 6 fishes left none - or maybe one is an actual winemilleri; i've asked for 2 more d's and i'll have to figure out what to do with the three a's i have. The big one i could probably catch but the two small ones not a chance or i could just leave them in the tank. He did say i could ship them back but we both agree that is not cost effective or pragmatic.

Anyway it isn't the end of the world; nearly every seller of winemilleri are selling the wrong species or at least have picture of a fish that is the wrong species.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Didn't say the seller - won't name him; he imported them as a favor and didn't really understand how similar the fishes were. Talking to others it is a common problem that these species get mixed up on importation. He has 6 fishes left none - or maybe one is an actual winemilleri; i've asked for 2 more d's and i'll have to figure out what to do with the three a's i have. The big one i could probably catch but the two small ones not a chance or i could just leave them in the tank. He did say i could ship them back but we both agree that is not cost effective or pragmatic.

Anyway it isn't the end of the world; nearly every seller of winemilleri are selling the wrong species or at least have picture of a fish that is the wrong species.
This is the only store i could find that actually has the correct fish pictured. Notice there are only 4 stress lines; however the cheek mark is pretty faint probably due to age and stress. The cheek mark on winemilleri is definitely fainter than on d and points the other way.

here is another one that looks correct - hard to tell:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, if the seller is an "almost friend" doing a favor, it does change things as far as $$ goes...but still very disappointing.

That pic of the Imperial Tropicals geo. winemilleri looks (whee!) very nice. No wonder you'd like to keep them!

I did NOT ask the seller's name or company. I asked if they'd reimburse you for shipping you the wrong fish in some way...different things.

So what will you do with a few different but similar species? Try to ID them & sell or just keep them? I'm worried there could be hybridizing (see the czech apisto thread). I know neither of us like that option but it's getting hard to avoid...What to do?

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, if the seller is an "almost friend" doing a favor, it does change things as far as $$ goes...but still very disappointing.

That pic of the Imperial Tropicals geo. winemilleri looks (whee!) very nice. No wonder you'd like to keep them!

I did NOT ask the seller's name or company. I asked if they'd reimburse you for shipping you the wrong fish in some way...different things.

So what will you do with a few different but similar species? Try to ID them & sell or just keep them? I'm worried there could be hybridizing (see the czech apisto thread). I know neither of us like that option but it's getting hard to avoid...What to do?
I've id'd them; i have 4 d's and 3 a's. The d's are pretty close to winemilleri; the a's are a bit brighter. I think i can catch the big one but the two smaller ones will not be catchable.

So hybridizing is an interesting concern; you are aware that these 3 species are almost always caught together cohabiting the same area which begs the question do they or have they hybridized in the wild.

Btw the imperical tropical picture is probably enhanced and also the image is dim; both of which probably helps bring out the colouring. Mind you the winemilleri is a handsom fish but probably not quite that rich.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I don't see a thread on czech apisto; unless you are talking bout NoodleCats NoodleCats 'borelli'. Btw in the wild there are something like 8 species of 'borelli'; that is very similar fishes called apistogramma sp borelli that might or might not be the same species. At this time only one is considered true apistogramma borelli - probably because it was discovered first. Every year they find 3 or 4 new 'species' of apistogramma.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store