Some updated pics of my Spiny Tailed Monitors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
Those look awesome!
I never even knew they existed..
btw can you post a fts? It looks like a very interesting tank.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Those look awesome!
I never even knew they existed..
btw can you post a fts? It looks like a very interesting tank.

Thanks ohbly. They go by a few different names: Yellow Ackie Monitors, Ridge-tailed Monitors and Spiny-tailed Monitors. This particular subspecies is Varanus acanthurus brachyurus.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
wow VF, that certainly puts it into perspective! Wow, they looked so much bigger in the first pics!! Still though, that tank is impressive!
Thanks. Their snout to vent length is only like 6-7" at the moment so they're not as big as they look. Most of them is tail anyways.

Is that grout over foam? if so how did you get the colour and texture to look so natural?
Yep, it's a tan tile grout mixed with a bit of play sand over spray and sheet foam. When the grout was still wet I sprinkled a little more play sand on it to give it that texture.

pongo

AC Members
Mar 9, 2010
Minnesota
great photo's and wonderful enclosure!!! lol, monitors always scare since I had to do a physical exam on a pair of alligator monitors before they went on exhibit at the zoo, the teeth on them was something wicked!

I appreciate the care that you obviously show for the animals in your care, so often the 'lesser' species get horrible care. Your's look great...great job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store