Someone please tell me their goldfish does this too...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
For the 29, you can go simple for you fishes health. No heater needed. No decor, no substrate. Decor and substrate are FOR YOU not for the fish unless youre doing live plants and rock. The filter is a must. And your gold fish can do fine at room tempature water. A heater is NOT A MUST. Decor and substrate ARE NOT A MUST. But thats just me. Good luck. Hope you get everyone straightened out soon
i second that. especially with a fish that tries to eat everything that's not nailed down, it seems better to have less stuff to nibble in the first place. a bare-bottom tank is not cruel to them, and as i've said at other times, when a fish is unable to make the correct decisions for themselves (i.e. don't eat gravel), you as the owner need to make that decision for them by changing the circumstances.

all you need is a filter. you can probably find a suitable one for under $30 if you shop around. ebay, amazon, aquabid, craigslist, iwanna or other local print classifieds, etc.

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
Thanks, Blue.

I'm going to move the fish I can into a ready ten gal, the smaller ones, so I can at least make sure they won't get eaten. (Though if a couple other guppies do get turned into a snack, it wouldn't be a bad thing...I'm being overrun by fry even though I've separated my males and females...oy.) I'm doing the best I can with the situation. I realize the advice is great and I appreciate it, I just can't act on most of it at this moment in time despite my desire to do so so Koehler and Mozart will be happy, dumb goldfish who antics make me feel better after a bad day.

This forum, is by far, the best aquaria forum I've seen and the best advice is given here so readily. I apologize if anyone thought I was unappreciative of everyones comments but I'm scared for my fish. (Some of you may probably think I'm nuts, but I'm quite attached to the little buggers.) Again, thanks for all you're help and advice. I'm going to change the situation as soon as I can and to the best of my ablity.

And wataugachicken, I'm female, lol. ;)

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
Another tid bit on fishys. Guppies spawn once, hold sperm for 6 months and give birth about every 28 days. Where are you located? Id take them in? lol I just had a woman drop off 60 of them

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
hmmm. you have quite a hairy pirate-like beard for a girl. not to mention the mustache. . . .

oh, you mean that's not your picture?

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
di_Betta, I'm on the other side of the country in UT. And I know about the spawning thing with guppies but thanks for the tidbit.

watauagachicken: rofl. No, that's that's the great Geoffrey Rush as Captain Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Heh.

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
good luck to ya then

Last edited:

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
id love to see a pic of your little guy

SeverinBarbossa

Barbossa lover!
Jun 9, 2008
The Black Pearl
When my computer is more cooperative, I'll send you a pic of Koehler. And Mozart if he'll stay still.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
You're all definitely correct. Goldfish will indeed eat anything and everything they can fit in their mouths. If you're worried about the smaller fish and you can't afford a larger tank - or the 10 gallon doesn't work out - you can put the otos and small fish into a floating breeder net temporarily.
I disagree with watauga in that I think it's important for goldfish to have something to sift and spit. If your gravel is getting stuck in his mouth, switch to a larger or smaller substrate, like sand, until he gets bigger. If he swallows the sand, it will move through his digestive tract without getting stuck. You can buy large bags of masonry sand very cheaply at most hardware stores. Rinse well, and you have new substrate.
I do agree that in goldfish tanks, decor should be kept to a minimum. For the singletail, torpedo-shaped varieties, they need as much swimming room as possible, and for the fancier varities, they require a tank without any sharp or rough decor due to their long fins and slow movement. A few plastic plants, a piece of driftwood, some substrate. That's really the most I would recommend.
It's pretty common for goldfish to get things stuck in their mouths, but if it happens repeatedly you could try moving or removing all the mouth-sized objects. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store