Something on my Ram....:(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
She seems fine, colour looks good, eating well, acting normal. On her dorsal fin, and the side of her body there is a white thin curvy line. I think there are three of these. It almost looks like a tiny piece of extra thin sewing thread is stuck on her (i should note that it doesn't hang from her at all)I can't get a pic, it is just way too small. I noticed it about a week ago now.

its a 26 gallon planted

other fish are

another ram
a betta
3 blue tetras
and 4 kuhli loaches

W/C 40% a week

ph 7.8 (yes its high, but its always been like this)
ammo 0
nitate 0
nitrite 0

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
sounds like it could be an external parasite. a photo would be a great help but i know it's hard to get unless you have an expensive camera with a really good macro lens. maybe try researching external fish parasites to see what might match what the ram has?

on a side note: your nitrates shouldn't be zero. how long has the tank been set up? and what is your test kit (dip strips or liquid)? is it planted really heavily?

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
If your nitrate is 0, your tank may not be cycled or you do not have an accurate test. How long has the tank been set up?

I've never heard of this before. Can it bee seen on both sides of the fin or just one? Are there any more (either on her or other fish) that you can see?

About how long is it? 1-5 mm? 1 cm? If it's the thickness of sewing thread, I imagine it is fairly long.

I wish I could be of more help but maybe this information will help others who may have dealt with this.

For the time being, I would isolate the fish to keep it from spreading.

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
This tank has been up and running for about 8 months now. No idea why I have no nitrates, my other take (a 46 G) has no nitrates either. I use the API master test kit.

I don't think I would call it heavily planted...medium ish I guess lol

It's about 4 MM long, can only be seen on one side. It is thinner than sewing thread, and white in colour.

will try to get pics...

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you know, it almost looks like planaria stuck in the fin of the fish.

i want to say anchor worm, but they attach to the body and not the fins.

Last edited:

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
I thought that it was a parasite too, but doesn't seem to have moved at all in the week since I have noticed it. There is one on the body as well, and possible another smaller one on another fin...

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
and none of your other fish are showing the same symptom?

where did all your fish come from? when was the last one added? do you quarantine all new fish?

being that there is one of these 'things' on the body i would lean strongly towards anchor worms.

rstrobel

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Modesto, CA
I have a ram that has something similar on her fins. It's almost like a scar or buildup of something. It doesn't seem to cause any harm. Keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't a parasite and that it doesn't spread.

As for your nitrates-
if you're using the API test, have you been letting the solution sit after mixing the water with the chemicals? If not then that will give you a false reading of 0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store